Data Science & Analytics is one of the fastest growing teams at Betterment. We operate with a 360-degree view of the company, partnering closely with teams such as Finance, Marketing, Product, and Operations, and always with our users in mind. Our projects range from creating beautiful dashboards to developing machine learning models. These projects add tremendous value to the business and we are looking for more thoughtful, driven, and curious people to push the business even further.
About the right team member:
Marketing plays a critical role in Betterment’s success. As with all areas of the company, we hope to make marketing even more data-driven than it is today, using our data to continuously improve our customer models and optimize our marketing spend. We are looking for an experienced leader in marketing analytics to help us decide how to most efficiently deploy our resources. This person will help hire and grow a team of analysts and will work to fully immerse their squad in the day to day operations of our acquisition, brand, CRM, and product marketing teams. They’ll partner with our Product Analytics team, sharing technical methodologies aligning on metric definitions, and fostering a culture of data-driven decision-making at Betterment.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build a close partnership with the marketing team.
- Help plan marketing campaigns and influence marketing investments.
- Directly lead and mentor a squad of marketing analysts that are solving a variety of problems.
- Work with cross-functional teams to create and maintain a prioritized backlog and create short term and long term goals for your team.
- Support ad hoc data and analysis requests as needed, but over time translate them into tools and metrics.
- Help enable self-service amongst our organization using a BI tool like Mode, Looker, or Tableau.
- Contribute to Betterment’s data driven culture, create and influence best practices.
- Be a member of the broader analytics community in NYC, staying abreast of new ideas and trends, and contributing thought leadership.
You will be effective if you have:
- 5+ years of experience working in marketing analytics, preferably in close partnership with decision makers.
- Experience with customer acquisition tools such as Google Analytics and DFP.
- Prior success in tweaking marketing spend by picking apart acquisition funnels via Media Mix Modeling.
- Experience managing and mentoring analysts.
- The ability to write SQL in your sleep and experience working with row-based and columnar databases.
- Strong ability to code in Python or R.
- An eye for beautiful and effective data visualizations, and experience creating them programmatically.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) with a focus on efficiency and clarity.
- Desire to succeed in a demanding, innovative, and entrepreneurial environment.
Bonus points if you have:
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 370,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.