Data Science & Analytics is one of the fastest growing teams at Betterment. We operate with a 360 degree view of the company, partnering closely with teams such as Finance, Marketing, Product, and Operations, and always with our users in mind. Our projects range from creating beautiful dashboards to developing machine learning models. These projects already add tremendous value to the business...and we’re just getting started!
About the right team member:
Betterment aims to provide its users with the highest level of customer service, whether that’s providing retirement planning advice or help rolling over a 401K. We consider this one of our core competencies and critical to our success as a company. We aim to do it better than any other financial company, in part through the application of data science. In this role, you will help lead these efforts, conducting analysis of user behavior and developing machine learning solutions, including search relevancy, natural language processing, and personalization to delight users with the best experience possible.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Partner closely with the customer experience team responsible for supporting customer inquiries, including financial advice.
- Analyze customer behavior data to help us understand how we can improve the customer experience.
- Develop user models as building blocks for personalizing interactions with customers.
- Help develop a knowledge base of advice and state of the art relevancy models to access that knowledge base.
- Contribute to Betterment’s data driven culture, and influence best practices.
- Be a member of the broader data science community in NYC, staying abreast of new ideas and trends, and contributing thought leadership.
You will be effective if you have:
- The interest and ability to develop in Python.
- Experience with data science and machine learning libraries such as Scikit-learn, Pandas, Tensorflow, and D3.
- Familiarity with the information retrieval space, including Elastic search and topics such as relevancy modeling, text mining, query classification, personalization, and knowledge bases.
- The ability to write SQL and work with cloud based data stores including AWS and Redshift.
- Experience working in a growth stage company, and ability to thrive in a fast moving, ever changing environment.
- Entrepreneurship in your nature, with a bias for action instead of waiting for perfection.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $13 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 330,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.