Data Science & Analytics is one of the fastest growing teams at Betterment. We operate with a 360 degree view of the company, partnering closely with teams such Finance, Marketing, Product, and Operations, and always with our users in mind. Our projects range from creating beautiful dashboards to developing machine learning models. These projects already add tremendous value to the business...and we’re just getting started!
About the right team member:
Marketing plays an important role in Betterment’s success. As with all areas of the company, we hope to make marketing as data-driven as is reasonable, using our data to continuously improve our customer models and optimize our marketing spend. We are looking for a talented data scientist to help with these efforts. The company is in a growth stage and marketing’s analytics needs are fairly broad, so the work is bound to stay interesting. At any one time projects may include tuning programmatic ad spend, modeling customer behavior using machine learning, analyzing on-going marketing campaigns, or assisting ad-hoc data requests from the marketing team.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Work closely with the marketing team.
- Help plan marketing campaigns and influence marketing investments.
- Build and improve models of customer behavior, including lifetime value and churn.
- Support ad hoc marketing data and analysis requests as needed, but over time translate them into tools and metrics.
- Contribute to Betterment’s data driven culture, and influence best practices.
- Be a member of the broader data science community in NYC, staying abreast of new ideas and trends, and contributing thought leadership.
You will be effective if you have:
- Experience applying data science to marketing, including user modeling and CRM.
- A willingness to be flexible, prioritizing problems that are most pressing and using those tools that are most appropriate.
- The ability to write SQL in your sleep.
- The ability to code in Python and R.
- Experience using analytics reporting tools such as Mode, Looker, or Tableau.
- Experience with data science libraries including Scikit-learn and Pandas.
- An eye for beautiful data visualizations, and experience creating them whether in powerpoint or D3.
- Experience working with third-party user data including DMPs.
- Experience working in a fast moving, ever changing environment.
- Entrepreneurship in your nature, with a bias for action instead of waiting for perfection.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $13 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 330,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.