Do you want to be part of a team that empowers teachers to prepare students for a better future? The Engineers at BetterLesson create the software experiences to do just that. Join us!
BetterLesson empowers K-12 teachers to build a modern classroom: learner-centered, culturally responsive, and personalized. Instead of the conventional one-size-fits-all professional development format for educators, BetterLesson supports teachers in a way that’s personalized and continuous -- using a mix of remote 1:1 coaching, remote team coaching, remote workshops, and in-person workshops, all supported by the BetterLesson Lab software. We match each teacher with a world-class coach and then leverage our technology to suggest customized teaching strategies, to measure impact on student learning, and to improve teaching practice continuously through rapid iteration. This process leads to off-the-charts teacher love (our data shows teachers love BetterLesson more than Apple users love their iPhones), high administrator engagement, and, most importantly, dramatic teacher and student growth.
BetterLesson has raised over $30M of venture capital and grant funding, serves over 400 school districts, sees 850K+ monthly active users accessing our online lessons and strategies, and is expanding quickly.
About Our Culture
We are a growing team of teaching practice geeks, educational opportunity devotees, and product development specialists who are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as reflected in and supported by our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Continuum. We place tremendous value on our company’s roots and culture: a shared passion to transform professional learning for educators at scale and a sense of urgency to achieve this vision on behalf of students.
BetterLesson is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and value the inclusion of diverse perspectives of our team in support of our work with students and partners. We are deeply committed to providing equitable access and lifting up different voices inside and outside of the organization. We enthusiastically invite individuals of all backgrounds, including people of all races, colors, religions, sexes, pregnancy statuses (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national origins, ages, marital statuses, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions, non-disqualifying physical or mental disabilities, and/or any other characteristics unrelated to merit, to apply. At BetterLesson, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. All candidates should have the experience, competence, and enthusiasm to dive into our highly dynamic organization headfirst and rapidly solve complex, exciting, and interconnected problems. We offer a unique opportunity to join a small team and make a massive impact on our education system.
About our Engineering Team
The BetterLesson Engineering Team is composed of highly skilled software developers, visionary UI designers, and experienced project managers that together form a world-class software development team. Our small team is committed to anti-racist practices and we infuse these values into every piece of software we create.
The platform we have built is used to deliver some of the best culturally responsive teaching and learning content, amongst many amazing student-centered strategies. We have created an environment where our coaches thrive during their collaboration with our teachers, and our teachers are just as delighted to engage in their professional development with us.
As a member of this team, your technical contributions will have an immediate impact on the mission of the company and the professional growth of teachers across the country.
You will focus on (3) main functional areas:
- Implementing front-end and back-end code that supports product development
- Planning the implementation of product features and functionality for yourself, and at times for others
- Establishing lasting practices for the future of product development
- an accomplished engineer with great interpersonal skills
- a strong collaborator and communicator
- an organizer and planner of your own technical tasks, managing time to complete tasks on schedule
- develop back-end services within our Flask (Python / WSGI-based) web framework
- query data and update our MySQL database schema to support new products and features
- maintain a high standard for clarity and readability of code
- engage in projects that include:
- building robust scheduling interfaces for our coaches and teachers
- continually enhancing our virtual events experience, based on our UI/UX research
- creating amazing onboarding for our growing coaching team
- experience working in a high-growth environment
- formal Computer Science training, through either:
- a college degree in Computer Science or an equivalent degree, or
- a combination of coding bootcamp experience and 2+ years of training on the job, or
- 3+ years of training on the job
- 2+ years of experience building back-end applications using conventional patterns, such as Model View Controller (MVC) and Microservices (Queue, AWS Lambda)
- experience building layouts with HTML and CSS without relying on external libraries