A Better company
We believe homeownership is valuable. Here’s why: Not only has homeownership historically been one of the most reliable ways to build wealth, it also strengthens ties to community and contributes positively to overall well-being. The way the mortgage industry operates today makes it harder and harder for people to consider homeownership -- so we set out to change that. The traditional mortgage process is designed to confuse, riddled with unnecessary fees, takes too much time, and is built on a foundation of misaligned incentive structures. It’s time Americans had a Better option.
A Better option is one that puts customers in control of the largest financial transaction of their lives. It’s built with best-in-class technology, supported by non-commissioned staff, and offers affordable financing options that meet customers where they are.
Since 2016, we’ve already funded over $1B in loans, raised $75M in capital, and won the NerdWallet Best Online Mortgage Lender for Customer Service and we’re just getting started.
Trying to modernize a decades old industry isn’t easy, but it is supremely rewarding. Become part of a Better team.
A Better opportunity
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Our tech team is small, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems. We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits.
Some projects you could be working on
- Work closely with our product team to understand funnel drop off and come up with product ideas
- Work closely with the marketing team to optimize our acquisition funnel
- Present conclusions to the executive team that can impact the strategic direction of the company
- Build a lead scoring model to help our customer support team prioritize.
- Model the time-lag of conversions using Tensorflow and fun math like Gamma distributions
- Design an experiment to understand the causal impact of an outbound phone call on conversion rates
- Build web scrapers to track price data for other mortgage lenders
- Migrate our data warehouse to Redshift
- Work on our underwriting engine, which turns out to be NP-complete and can be posed as a mixed integer programming problem
- Transcribe all our phone calls using speech-to-text and figure out ways to optimize customer support.
- We do continuous deployment and we ship code 50-100 times every day
- The data stack is all in Python 3.6
- We use Node.js, Python and Scala for services
- Postgres for the database
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops
- AWS for infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, SWF, CloudFront, Route53, and much more