We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get home and our customers love it. By combining the technology people expect with a seamless customer service experience, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
In 2018 alone, we’ve helped over 10,000 families get home, saving them on average $3,500 in upfront fees and days of stress-filled time.
Our backers have helped build some of most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank and others have invested over $85MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Our tech team is small, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems.
We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits. Part-time remote is great with us, although we are looking for candidate who can spend some significant fraction of your time at our office in downtown Manhattan.
- Open source authors of popular projects like Annoy and Holder
- Alumni of Spotify, Google, Founders Fund, and Microsoft
- A Head of Engineering who writes a fun blog
- We ship code 50-100 times every day
- Node.js for the main app
- Python (3.6) and Scala for services
- Ember.js, Bootstrap, React, and SCSS on the frontend
- ES6 across the stack
- Postgres for the database
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops
- AWS for infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, SWF, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
Better projects you could own:
- Build a system to evaluate thousands of rules and do a combinatorial search to find out what’s the best loan and how much can you afford
- Build a way to match borrowers to programs to calculate and surface eligible discounts to them
- Work on our Kubernetes cluster that helps us deploy 50-100 times/day with no downtime
- Improve our CI pipelines that run thousands of tests across hundreds of thousands of lines of code in a few minutes (with about 85% coverage)
- Build D3 widgets to guide consumers through the biggest purchase in their lives
- Integrate with email, text messages, and phone calls to unify all inbound/outbound communication and deliver real time updates to borrowers
- Experiment with tools to do OCR on documents
If you’re interested in solving complex problems that have a real world impact, get in touch!
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.