Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services include mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the value in each person's perspective and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it's important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the home buying journey more approachable and understandable. The successful candidate will support the General Counsel and Human Resources by managing the employee relations function. The successful candidate will advise on employment law, oversee and conduct employee relations investigations, supervise a team of three and handle a variety of employment related matters. This is a fantastic opportunity to be a key member of our team that is critical to ensuring the effectiveness of our risk management system and corporate operations, and delivering to our clients during a pivotal stage of our company’s development.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide employment law advice to the General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer, Chief Human Resources Officer and other key individuals in the Company, including policy recommendations regarding employee relations, payroll tax, wage & hour, benefits or employment litigation matters.
- Research legal matters impacting the Company, including state and federal statutes and employment related regulations and support the legal, finance and compliance departments’ efforts to implement policies based on that research.
- Assist the Human Resources Department with legal aspects of the employee relations function.
- Review contracts including software and vendor agreements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 8 -10 years’ experience working in a legal, corporate or governmental environment interfacing with senior leaders
- Proven experience with risk management in a corporate setting
- Experience with legal operations and employee relations
- JD from an accredited law school and are licensed to practice in New York, New Jersey or California
- Strong leadership capabilities and can tell us about things that would have never happened if you weren’t there to motivate a group of people to do them
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent project management and task tracking skills
- Proficient with MS Office and Google applications
- Ability to travel when needed, within the US, on relatively short notice
- Possess unyielding integrity and can preserve confidentiality
- Flexible and willing to work extended hours when necessary to advance the mission
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Office location preference is NYC, but open to our other markets as well
This role is designated as ‘Flex Mode,’ and is not a fully remote position. The number of days in office will vary based on role requirements. As such, employees must be located within commuting distance of the office and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination
For Colorado-based candidates*: Minimum salary of $265,500 + bonus potential, equity, and benefits.
*Disclosure of minimum annual salary required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) for opportunities in Colorado.
Req ID: JR102205
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees, and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and the opportunity for a yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.