Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity:
The Networking Team is a diverse group of technology professionals responsible for the infrastructure that powers Better’s sites. Better is looking for a self-motivated person to help us build, maintain, and support our networking infrastructure. You will be joining a strategic group that cross-functionally services the Better business and partners with multiple departments across the entire enterprise. The Networking Team is helping the company achieve scale by enabling expansion to new sites, as well as driving efficiencies to existing processes. The ideal candidate is a customer-service driven, technical person who can manage day-to-day operations. This person should be comfortable multi-tasking, able to maintain high attention to detail, and be resourceful as needed. If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team
Responsibilities will include:
- Create & maintain operational documentation
- Tune current environment for optimal performance
- Recommend, design, and implement network solutions, tools, and services to monitor and protect our cloud infrastructure
- Provide technical expertise on trends and emerging standards to the network landscape in public clouds.
- Conduct incident response as part of the greater IT team.
- Incorporate lessons learned from incident investigations to improve monitoring, alerting, and automation capabilities
- Configure & maintain the Better AWS cloud network (including Transit VPC, Direct Connect, TGW, VPN, Aviatrix, etc)
- Develop standards, policies and procedures that ensure long term system health.
- 2 - 4 years experience with AWS network topology and services (Multi account/VPC environments that are integrated via AWS transit gateway, Direct Connects/VPNs connecting to physical locations)
- Hands-on experience using Terraform for automation, orchestration of the networking components, and deploying Infrastructure as a Code
- Aviatrix Certified Engineer - Professional Certification
- AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty certification
- Ability to communicate well within and across teams; foster relationships throughout the organization and build trust amongst peers through demonstrated strong job performance.
- Team Player possessing strong analytical, problem solving, communication skills and be willing to share expertise with others
- Proactive and inquisitive learner who seeks out and capitalizes on opportunities for change that enhance the business, rather than reacting to circumstances
- Experience supporting security audits for network components with logs, evidence of change authorization etc.
- Expertise in Capacity planning, Infrastructure upgrades, patching, maintenance
Bonus Points for:
- Hands-on experience with Palo Alto next gen firewall platform
- Palo Alto Certification
- Citrix ADC Experience
- Experience with connectivity from AWS to additional cloud providers (Azure/GCP)
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.