Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better Opportunity:
Better is looking for a Security Engineer to support our rapid growth. This person will report to the Lead Security Engineer and partner with the internal IT team. This role will help oversee Betters security operations including but not limited to being involved with vulnerability management, SIEM, automation, disaster recovery, server and storage infrastructure (on prem and cloud) as well as implementing security best practices, compliance, policies and procedures.
Responsibilities will include:
- Work closely with Engineering/Infrastructure to review current infrastructure and identify potential security risks
- Overseeing deployments, build outs and routine maintenance for design changes to the environment
- Automate repeatable tasks through use of scripting (BASH, Python, Terraform, Puppet)
- Continuously document changes to application, domain and processes to ensure best practices are being followed
- Experience with automation and orchestration tools
- Regularly review processes in place
- Drive security projects from start to finish while maintaining a scalable view.
- Promoting knowledge sharing within the team, by contributing to the Better knowledge base, and helping coworkers better understand our automation processes
- This role is designated as ‘Remote Mode,’ and employees are not expected to report into a Better office at any time. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is not required unless fully remote employees attend an onsite, in-person meeting, office event, or otherwise interface with Better employees and/or customers in person.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- Minimum 3 years of hands on experience building and auditing security infrastructure.
- Knowledge of SOC2 compliance
- Experience building out and maintaining a SIEM (Splunk)
- Experience automating processes
- Solid project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Strong knowledge of change management
- Strong technical background with a good understanding of technology and industry trends
- Experience with AWS specifically, guard duty, IAM, WAF, and securing cloud environments.
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain protocol and processes with teams and management (internal and external)
- Willingness to be cross functional working with our engineering team.
- Self-taught and can adapt
- Minimum 2 years working with APIs.
- AWS Solutions Architect (Required) or AWS Security Specialty Certification (Preferred).
- Knowledge of Single Sign On (SAML/Oauth)
- Linux Systems Administration Experience (Installing/Tuning/Troubleshooting/Hardening)
- Networking experience (DNS,ARP,TCP/IP,UDP,DHCP)
- Experience with vulnerability management platforms (Nessus/Tenable/Rapid7)
Job Req ID: JR101795
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.