Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity:
Help us redefine a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Founded in 2016, Better.com is a digital-first homeownership company whose services include mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowner’s insurance.
Better.com is growing and we’re hiring Software Engineers at all levels to join our Homeowner Experience squad. In Homeowner Experience you will be responsible for creating customer-facing experiences that help demystify the mortgage process by educating homeowners along the way. At Better we believe that good ideas can come from anywhere and all Engineers have an opportunity to directly influence the team’s direction and have a meaningful impact on the company’s value. We love rapid iteration, experimentation and foster a culture of innovation and constant learning.
If you're interested in solving complex problems that have a real world impact, come talk to us.
- 2+ years of experience designing and building APIs.
- 2+ years of experience using modern frontend frameworks.
- You have built robust web applications and are familiar with different architectures and their trade-offs.
- Experience in collaborating with other engineers and cross-functional team mates.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Passionate about delivering quality production code multiple times a day
- We continuously ship code to production 50-100 times every day
- We work in cross-functional teams with dedicated Engineers so we can be hyper focused and experts in our domain
- We love data and metrics. We monitor production with Data Dog and our teams are 100% accountable for the stability and performance of their services.
- Backend is written in Node.js, Python and Go that expose APIs using GraphQL or OpenAPI
- Frontend is in NextJS, ReactJS, CSS in JS powered by a federated GraphQL API as well as RESTful endpoints
- TypeScript / ES7 across the stack
- Postgres for our relational databases, ActiveMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Redshift for analytics
- Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform for deployment and devops
- AWS infrastructure, using EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
A few projects you could work on:
- Design and build new customer experiences to help homeowners navigate the underwriting process
- Design and build a seamless experience to help us cross-sell homeowner services such as title and insurance
- Work on integrating new services that help streamline the mortgage process via automation
- Performance optimization of our customer experience across the stack
- This role is designated as ‘Flex Mode,’ and is not a fully remote position. The number of days in office will vary based on role requirements. As such, employees must be located within commuting distance of the office and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to email@example.com. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.