Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity:
At Better, we are more than just a mortgage company - we bring customers best in class homeownership products and services.
We are seeking an Escrow Officer, or an Escrow Assistant eager to take the next step in their career by moving into an Escrow Officer role, by joining Better’s fastest growing eAgency, Better Settlement Services. The Escrow Officer will be instrumental in the growth of Better’s rapidly expanding in-house title insurance agency. The Escrow Officer will be responsible for fostering an industry leading customer-first experience through their interactions with customers, third-party partners, and internal teams by coordinating the title and closing process for Better Settlement Services’ clients.
The ideal candidate will be a highly organized, detail-oriented professional with a burning desire to deliver a white glove customer experience.
- Serve as the primary liaison and point of contact between lender, customer and third parties for all Better Settlement Services refinance transactions
- Deliver best in class service to customers by responding to all inquiries and requests in a timely manner and resolving all escalations quickly
- Monitor file progress, customer feedback, and escalations throughout the lifecycle of each file
- Advocate for the customer by identifying and implementing best-in-class customer support practices for managing inquiries and resolving escalations
- Ability to perform basic Escrow Officer duties to close a real estate transaction
- Collaborate with partners and underwriting to resolve curative matters
- Review tax certificates, SDN searches, title search run sheets and review/issue title commitments to appropriate parties.
- Oversee and approve disbursement matters
- Prior to recording, verify legal instruments are correct and notary acknowledgements, legal descriptions and lien information is accurate.
- Complete title policies and review home office issued policies for distribution and completion
- 2+ years of experience in title insurance with an active Escrow Officer License or ability to obtain an Escrow License within 30 days of hire.
- Must be, or able to be, licensed & bonded and remain in good standing with the state while adhering to any state licensing continuing education requirements.
- Impeccable written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to maintain composure in high-pressure situations and comfortable working in a fast-paced, technology-centric environment
- Experience in pre and post close activities such as order entry, curative matters, funding/disbursement and policy preparation/issuance.
Job Req ID: JR101670
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to email@example.com. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.