Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is growing, and we’re looking for a Pre-Purchase Specialist to join our Post Closing team. If you’re looking to make an impact alongside a collaborative team that’s transforming the homeownership industry, check us out.
Better Mortgage, Post Closing Team
Post Closing is a dynamic, multi-functional team that plays an essential role in the Mortgage process. As part of our back-office support, we perform several key functions to facilitate the purchase of loan files, after closing, to our Investor partners on the Secondary market.
We strive to ensure all loan documentation is complete and in compliance with State, Federal and Agency guidelines.
We are a growing team, committed to:
- Supporting Better in meeting corporate and departmental goals
- Producing a high level of service to our customers both internally and externally
- Encouraging growth and development within our teams
The Pre-Purchase Specialist's primary focus is reviewing all loan files for Investors and ensuring all required documents and information is collected and cleared for purchase. This includes working internally with Company's respective departments for missing information and clarification as well as working with third parties such as the borrower, title company, insurance company etc. Requires diligent follow up and professional demeanor while working to clear files for purchase.
What you’ll do as a Pre-Purchase Specialist:
- Examines loan documents and recognizes needed mortgage documentation
- Maintain daily pipeline and follows up on aged loans daily
- Monitor investor sites for loan suspensions and updates internal tracking systems, ensuring correct ownership assignment based on curative party.
- Deliver investors all missing documents, requirements and/or rebuttals, as applicable.
- Effectively communicate with internal and external parties to obtain required documentation.
- Clear aged notes with warehouse banks
- Work all files within predetermined deadlines, proactively identifying solutions to clear conditions.
- Coordinate the correction of errors to closing documents and collateral
- Will work cross functionally with multiple teams to ensure that conditions are addressed in a timely manner
- Review and interpret mortgage documents for accuracy (insurance policies, tax information, prelims, appraisals and settlement statements).
What the ideal candidate looks like:
- 3+ years of mortgage experience, preferably in Post Closing
- Ability to work in a high intensity and fast paced environment
- Comfortable working in a constantly evolving environment with patience and understanding
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Detail oriented, organized, ability to multi-task and time manage to maximize output
- Proficient knowledge working with spreadsheets, specifically google suite (sheets, docs, etc.)
- Comfortable operating autonomously under minimal direct supervision and exercise independent judgment
Job Req ID: JR101642
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to email@example.com. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.