Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity:
We are a team of hardworking engineers that love to make the software-engineering experience as easy, fun, and productive as possible. As a Software Engineer in the Developer Experience (DevX) team you will work on the bedrock of which all other systems sit on top. From local development CLI tools to CI systems and deployment tools; you will be responsible for the mechanisms that empower an engineering team deploying code 50-100 times per day. The DevX team operates with a product driven approach, working closely with our customers to better serve them; we even have our own Product Manager, yes, you read that right. Our customers? The entire engineering organization at Better!
Some examples of our current projects:
- Standing up Spinnaker for continuous deployments and automated rollbacks.
- Automating provisioning of branch-environments to enable more comprehensive and better-isolated PR tests.
- Improving CI performance and cost.
- Continuing to expand our CLI tooling to automate even more day-to-day tasks for developers.
- Setting up a unified, dockerized, interface for services so that after a fresh clone of the repo on a new machine every service is runnable with a single command from a cold start.
- Building a service catalog to enable developers to discover shared resources, common libraries and practices, code ownership, etc.
- Adopt CD by shipping code many times a day.
- Node.js, Python, and Go for services.
- Ember.js, React, Typescript on the frontend.
- Postgres for the database, Redshift for our Data warehouse.
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops, along with datadog and kibana for metrics and logging.
- AWS for infrastructure, using EKS, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of experience coding in at least one modern language such as Python, Ruby, Node.js, Go, Java, C#, C++.
- 1+ year of experience contributing to the architecture and design of new and existing systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling).
- Working experience with Linux, shell scripting, docker, makefiles, terraform, and/or cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Experience building multi-tier production software systems utilizing HTTP APIs (REST, GraphQL) and backend storage (PostgreSQL, MySQL).
- Proven ability to understand the tech stack and debug code.
- Enthusiastic about the opportunity of impacting the engineering culture from the bottom up.
- Demonstrated experience solving broad developer problems.
- Demonstrated experience creating documentation consumed by other developers.
- A Startup mentality, ownership, and a proper balance of quality and sense of urgency.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to email@example.com. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.