Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is growing and we’re looking for a Counsel, Real Estate & Settlement Services to join our Legal & Compliance team. If you’re looking to make an impact alongside a collaborative team that’s transforming the homeownership industry, check us out.
We are seeking Counsel to support the growth of our affiliated service lines that are complementary to our mortgage business, especially Better Real Estate (real estate agents) and Better Settlement Services (title insurance). This hire will be deeply involved in the expansion and scaling of the real estate and settlement offerings, as well as shaping and monitoring the legal and compliance functions for our rapidly growing affiliates.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide business-focused legal advice and support in connection with various real estate initiatives across the organization
- Assist with business expansion efforts, including entity formation and licensing
- Identify, research, and analyze legal issues applicable to real estate brokerage firms, agents, and title providers
- Engage in cross-functional collaboration to ensure that our products, services, marketing, and processes, comply with the law
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide range of legal documents and commercial agreements that support and enable our business operations (e.g., term sheets, program guidelines, professional services agreements, MSAs, SOWs, license agreements, technology agreements, marketing and sales agreements, NDAs)
- Support the continuous improvement of legal processes, compliance initiatives, and risk management programs, including the creation and implementation of policies and procedures that incorporate multi-jurisdictional and interdisciplinary areas of law, as well as local practices
You have a strong ownership and leadership mindset and an ability to adapt and thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments. You are business-minded and work well in a team environment. You’re also willing to learn new areas of law, acquire new skills, and take on additional and/or new responsibilities within the team.
- Strong academic credentials including a JD and membership in good standing in at least one state bar (NY or CA bar a plus)
- 3-5 years of top-tier law firm or in-house experience with a focus on real estate, advising on matters including, but not limited to, licensing for real estate brokerage firms, agents, and salespersons, broker compensation, commission arrangements, rebates, referral fees, title, and escrow
These help, but aren’t dealbreakers:
- Expertise in RESPA compliance
- Prior experience with state real estate commissions or boards
- Prior mortgage industry experience
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to email@example.com. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.