Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity
Our goal is to build a Functional Business Partner Org whose primary purpose is to build and implement programs that enable people to do their best work more effectively. We will accomplish this by providing direct leadership & employee support, and by building and delivering a people roadmap aligned to the function’s business strategy. Better is looking for a Human Resources Business Partner for our Corporate teams, working side by side with each functional business unit to ensure people and business objectives are aligned for the success of both. You will serve as a coach to managers and employees across the organization and work closely with our Chief Financial Officer as well as other key leadership. You will be instrumental in building our people & culture function, championing our values and ensuring that Better is a great place to work.
- Partner with leaders in our Corporate Org to run all key people processes for the Corporate side of our business. These include: Performance management and career development, compensation reviews, organizational change, job design, and employee survey insights.
- Lead the functional recruiting team for Corporate.
- Be a consultative resource for your Leadership and leverage people data and insights to help drive business decisions.
- Build and run people strategy (growth, workforce planning, succession planning, benchmarking, retention) for your teams and liaise with our broader People Org to ensure best-in-class execution.
- 7+ years of experience overseeing a human resources team and working strategically with business leaders.
- You have seen the playbook at both high-growth and mature companies and can apply solutions with perspective and judgement. You diagnose and solve issues quickly.
- Experience in and interest in working through complexities of a changing business environment.
- You know how to inspire, motivate, and listen to those around you.
- You are both pragmatic and empathetic; you have a passion for driving culture, and create an open space for people to feel accepted and included.
- You're able to build trust with leaders and individual contributors alike, and can flex between the different stakeholders and partners.
- You are not title or level driven when working with people.
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders and leaders, across multiple functions.
- Proven working experience in a rapidly scaling organization; start-up experience is a plus.
Who You’ll Work With:
Kevin Ryan serves as Chief Financial Officer at Better.com. Prior to joining, he spent more than two decades at Morgan Stanley. Most recently as Managing Director, Investment Banking and Head of Banks and Diversified Finance, he covered large and midcap banks, financial technology companies, consumer finance companies and mortgage real estate investment trusts. Kevin also led the deal team on the IPO for Rocket Companies, for which Morgan Stanley was a lead bookrunner. Kevin holds a law degree from the University of Virginia.
Paula Tuffin serves as Chief Compliance Officer at Better.com. Previously she served as senior litigation counsel at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in the Enforcement Bureau. Prior to joining the CFPB she was a litigation partner at Mayer Brown. Paula began her career as a Motions Law Clerk to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. She served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Criminal Division of the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, where she prosecuted bank fraud, money laundering and complex narcotics cases involving extensive grand jury investigations. She received a B.A. from Williams College and her JD from Harvard Law School.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to email@example.com. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.