Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is looking for a highly motivated Payroll Analyst to join the Accounting team in our rapidly growing company of over 6,000 domestic and international employees. Sitting at the intersection of Accounting and People Operations, you will be responsible for administering all aspects of payroll from diligent record keeping and reconciliations and analysis, to implementation of best practices. The ideal candidate thrives in collaborative, fast-paced environments and is committed to continual process improvement and customer experience.
Responsibilities will include:
- Execute all matters related to payroll administration and reconciliation, including but not limited to payroll processing and payroll taxes.
- Partner with People Operations to continually improve employee record keeping and process management related to payroll
- Build and maintain a good working knowledge of wage legislation, industry standards, and best practices, incorporating standards into processes and procedures
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to make payroll system enhancements or resolve payroll issues
- Contribute to the post-implementation efforts of Workday as part of scaling our business.
- Build and maintain employee confidence and trust by promptly responding to requests and protecting the confidentiality of payroll operations.
- Work with the Accounting and Finance teams to ensure access to accurate payroll data for month-end close and other ad hoc financial reports.
- 3+ years of experience as a payroll and benefits specialist at a medium to large-sized company.
- Experience with payroll systems and HRIS, preferably Workday.
- Knowledge and experience with US labor law, tax and compliance as well as all federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, including COBRA, FMLA, and DOL/FLSA requirements
- Interested and informed on emerging technologies and are always looking for improvement, automation, and efficiency in processes
- Able to thrive in an extremely fast paced environment
- Detail oriented, deadline driven and work well under pressure with a high degree of accuracy
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely in oral and written forms across teams
- Ability to comfortably interact with employees of all levels of experience and seniority, across the organization and uses diplomacy and discretion when dealing with sensitive employee payroll and benefit matters
- Thrives in a startup environment where you are given the freedom to take ownership, and you adjust quickly to changing priorities, conditions and other ad-hoc tasks as they may come along
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.