Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $4.3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $42 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems. Our Engineering team is headquartered in NYC, but is remote friendly. All remote employees must be US-based.
We are working hard to make the mortgage experience extraordinary, and we need exceptional software engineers to do it! Every behavior and interaction matters in helping our borrowers easily navigate a complex process. As part of our Homeowner Experience Engineering Team, you could work on any number of projects including:
- Last Mile: After homeowners have gone through their verification process, there’s a lot of waiting that happens until the day they close their loans. Anxiety is high. How can we improve their experience as their loan finalizes and gets funded?
- Eligibility and Verification: In order to make homeownership accessible to all Americans, we need to ensure our processes and education can accommodate the diversity of our customer base. How can we create customer experiences that simplify an enormously complex process and increase transparency around eligibility criteria?
- Purchase Journey: Homebuyers want one place to search real estate listings, connect with a real estate agent and get their mortgage. We are creating a customized journey for new purchase borrowers that encompasses every step of the homebuying process.
- You have 3 or more years of experience contributing to the architecture and design of new and existing systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling)
- You have built sophisticated production software systems
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop other team members including junior software engineers
- Experience defining system architecture(s) and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs and capabilities
- Startup attitude, ownership, and the right balance of quality and sense of urgency
- We continuously ship code to production 50-100 times every day
- Services written in Node.js, Python (3.6) and Go that expose APIs using GraphQL or OpenAPI
- React, CSS in JS, Apollo/GraphQL, webpack, SCSS, Ember.js on the frontend
- TypeScript / ES7 across the stack
- Postgres for our relational databases, ActiveMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Redshift for analytics
- Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform for deployment and devops
- AWS infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.