Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for an Underwriting Manager to join the team. This person will work closely with our Head of Underwriting to help manage priorities of the team. They will also evaluate borrower financial and credit information in tandem with property valuations to inform lending decisions, using established underwriting guidelines. Our underwriters will work closely with all members of the production team throughout the process to bring loans to closing.
Beyond producing high-quality loans and managing priorities, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. To do this, we need you to wear many hats, ranging from a visionary redesigning the needlessly complex mortgage process; a data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem solver working with highly skilled engineers and industry experts to resolve technical and operational challenges.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead a team of Underwriters who will underwrite and decision agency conforming and non-conforming residential mortgage loans
- Work with our Head of Underwriting to manage team priorities and achieve team goals
- Develop and improve team productivity and performance
- Foster a positive culture and create positive work experiences
- Collaborate cross functionally with adjacent teams (e.g., Processing, Sales, Collateral, Tech, etc.)
- Verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents
- Perform thorough analysis of applicant's income and expense data, asset documentation, credit reports, and property valuations in order to affirm borrower qualifies for loan
- Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness; provide risk opinions
- 3-5+ years of recent experience managing a team of mortgage underwriters
- 7-10+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and non-conforming mortgages
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process, underwriting methodology and philosophy
- Critical thinker with strong decision making ability
- Experience thriving in a high volume production environment
- Capable of preparing findings reports
- Proven ability to improve production and quality metrics
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Perform well in team environments
- The drive to build something new
- Management and personnel development experience
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.