Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $1.5 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better is hiring a Manager, Mortgage Quality Control to assist in overseeing and expanding our audit/quality control function. At the direction of the Director of Quality Control, you will work cross collaboratively with both the Mortgage Operations and Legal and Compliance teams to ensure our origination processes comply with state, federal, and investor regulations.
Responsibilities will include:
- Expand and implement procedures for audit/quality control processes, including mortgage origination, pre and post close reviews.
- Participate in the development of future enhancements to the loan audit process to continually meet regulatory requirements, investor standards and efficiency objectives.
- Monitors audit results and makes recommendations for changes when appropriate.
- Ability to develop audit tools and evaluate third‐party vendor solutions.
- Perform and oversee quality control audits of all loan types as needed according to sampling percentages set internally or by individual investors.
- Serve as liaison between Better.com and external vendors/partners providing mortgage origination reviews.
- Work directly with Operations teams to provide quality feedback and recommend solutions for improvement.
- Perform internal investigations and assist the Director of Quality Control with special projects as needed.
- In-depth knowledge of mortgage underwriting guidelines including Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, VA, and Non-Conforming.
- 7+ years quality control and/or underwriting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, i.e. business administration, finance, math or statistics.
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process, underwriting and quality control methodology and philosophy.
- In-depth knowledge of mortgage regulations including Reg B, Reg Z (including Appendix Q), TRID, HMDA, etc).
- Previous experience managing quality control and/or underwriting teams preferred.
- Capable of navigating multiple lending and audit platforms.
- Excellent investigative, problem solving, analytical abilities, oral and written communication skills.
- Critical thinker with strong decision making ability.
- Ability to work with integrity, making sure to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Experience thriving in a high volume production environment.
- Capable of preparing and analyzing findings reports.
- Proven ability to improve production and quality metrics.
- Ability to effectively communicate with senior management and executives.
- Ability to work from one of our local offices (New York, NY; Charlotte, NC; Oakland, CA; Irvine, CA.)
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.