Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a Team Lead to join our team in Charlotte. This person will be responsible for developing a team in tandem with processing a reduced pipeline. The ideal candidate will be a highly organized communicator capable of making sound decisions while maintaining composure in a fast-paced environment!
Beyond producing high quality loans, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. With offices in New York, San Francisco, Irvine, Charlotte and Gurgaon, we are rapidly growing in order to deliver a fabulous borrower experience through a combination of technology and people. Our office in Charlotte is a key part of this strategy!
In joining our Charlotte team, you will have an outstanding opportunity to join a fast-growing team and you will play a meaningful role in delivering on our mission.
Responsibilities will include:
As Better's Processing Team Lead, your responsibilities will be wide in scope. You can expect to actively contribute in the following ways:
- Develop team of junior processors:
- Drive team objectives and critical metrics throughout production cycles.
- Provide and mentor through qualitative and quantitative feedback for your team.
- Supervise daily cadence as the product continues to improve.
- Serve as the first line of defense to diffuse customer issues to management.
- Support Processing Manager and Senior Processors with sophisticated loan troubleshooting.
- Handle limited pipeline of loans
- Verify and analyze all vital financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all vital credit and legal documents to satisfy underwriting conditions.
- Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness.
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams in Operations (title, valuations, underwriting, closing) to close loans
- Proven experience processing (or underwriting) FNMA, FHLMC, FHA and Jumbo mortgages
- 1 year of leadership experience highly preferred
- Knowledge of agency conventional, purchase, refinance, and jumbo underwriting product guidelines
- Familiarity with Desktop Underwriter (DU)
- Strong communication, organization, and time leadership skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and tackle problems independently
- Ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced environment
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.