Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $1.5 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a Team Lead to join our Processing team in New York. Processing at Better is a multifaceted function - both consumer-facing and operationally-driven. Our Processors serve as point of contacts to our borrowers, ensuring a best-in-class customer experience. They also are responsible for effectively managing customer operations and loan logistics to ensure that mortgage processing is moving forward.
As a Team Lead on our Processing team, you will operate in a hybrid role. You will be responsible for managing an individual pipeline of customers/loans as well as for managing, coaching and developing a team of junior processors. This is a great opportunity for someone who is looking to advance their career in leadership. Our ideal candidate is a highly-organized customer experience enthusiast with strong communication and problem solving skills; someone who is passionate about helping and leading others; who can think on their feet, adapt and maintain composure in a fast-paced environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage, coach and develop a team of junior processors; provide qualitative and quantitative feedback to continuously support profressional development
- Manage daily cadence as our product continues to evolve; drive team objectives and KPIs throughout production cycles
- Manage a limited pipeline of loans; verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents to satisfy underwriting conditions
- Serve as the first line of defense to diffuse customer escalations to management
- Support Processing Manager and Senior Processors with complex loan troubleshooting.
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams in Operations (title, valuations, underwriting, closing) to close loans
- 2-4+ years of experience in a customer-facing role within mortgage, financial services, insurance, banking or fintech. Previous direct mortgage experience is preferable, but is not required
- 1 year of leadership experience highly preferred
- Strong communication, organization, and time management skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently
- Ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of agency conventional, purchase, refinance, and jumbo underwriting product guidelines
- Familiarity with Desktop Underwriter (DU)
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.