Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $1.5 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Our tech team is small, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems. We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits.
The Data Team
The data team is a small, but very quickly growing team of "full stack" data engineers/scientists/analysts. Their work spans across three different areas:
- Data Engineering: build pipelines that run in production, integrate new datasets, get everything into our data warehouse, build self-service platforms for the rest of the organization, etc.
- Data Analytics: work very closely with product managers or people in the business to understand how we can optimize the product, reduce user friction, improve user experience, optimize our acquisition budget, etc.
- Data Science: build models to predict conversion rates and use for lead scoring, optimizing ad spend, etc.
Some projects in the data team:
- Work extremely closely with our product team to understand user behavior and come up with product ideas
- Present conclusions to the executive team that can impact the strategic direction of the company
- Build a lead scoring model to help our customer support team prioritize
- Model the time-lag of conversions using fun math like Gamma distributions
- Design experiments to understand causal impact
- Build web scrapers to track price data for competitors
- Build scalable infrastructure to deploy machine learning models and serve predictions
- Build infrastructure for ingesting data into our data warehouse continuously and as close to real-time as possible
We're looking for an inspiring leader that will steer the strategy of the Data team, elevate data to influence product and business decisions, shape and empower a growing team, and collaborate with internal teams to drive an actionable roadmap. The things we care about are:
- Most importantly, strong commercial instinct – understanding what's important for the business and how we can use data to get there
- A background as a People Manager, as well as, hands on experience as an individual contributor as a Data Engineer/Data Scientist
- Experience liaising and collaborating with cross-functional teams in a dynamic work environment
- Coding skills (Python and SQL) are also a must-have
- At least 4+ years of management experience of over 20 people
- 5+ years of full-time work experience, at least 3+ in data
- Statistics or machine learning skills are a great bonus, but not strictly required
- We do continuous deployment and we ship code 50-100 times every day
- The data stack is all in Python 3.7
- We use TypeScript and Python for services
- Redshift for our data warehouse, Postgres for the production databases
- For infrastructure we use AWS, Docker, and Kubernetes
- The tech team is currently 70+ engineers but growing quickly
- The data team is 12 people but with the plan to grow it to 25 by the end of this year
- Erik Bernhardsson (CTO) used to run the data team and the music recommendation team at Spotify. He is the open source author of a few popular projects like Annoy and Luigi and writes a blog about (mostly) data
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.