We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
Our mortgage loan operation is the primary driver of Better.com’s revenue, and the Collateral team is a key component of that operation. Made up of four core components (Appraisal, Title, Homeowner’s Insurance, and Project Certification), the Collateral team owns the process of determining if a given property is suitable collateral for the loan in question. The Collateral group has grown 6x in the past year and is not slowing down yet! As we grow, processes become more complex and edge cases become more frequent. The need for clear escalation pathways and best practices for resolution is key. A shortlist of responsibilities includes:
- Create a tracking system for Collateral escalations
- Identify patterns in the escalations and resolve them at their root
- Interview mortgage operations functional managers to identify pain points
- Propose, implement, and manage change process of the solutions
- Create training materials and conduct trainings on new processes
- You have 3-5+ years of experience in a strategic operational role.
- You are a highly structured thinker with the ability to methodically break down complex issues.
- You are outgoing and not afraid to step out front.
- You bias to action, and bring a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness to your work.
- You are highly adaptable, and able to thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments.
- You are a highly skilled communicator with excellent relationship-building skills and the ability to garner consensus.
- Willing to travel to our offices to meet with all of the teams that interact with the Collateral group.
- Learning and development experience is a plus.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.