We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
The Role: Director of User Research
The Director of Research here at Better will be responsible for improving the quality and effectiveness of all user research capabilities within the organization. You will work collaboratively with the product organization to identify opportunities, set product strategy using user insights, and enable our team to innovate through a deep understanding of customer and partner needs. You will work closely with other leaders in the organization to promote a customer-centric mindset and help the business to make informed decisions, as well as to create best-in-class products that meet our design and usability standards.
What you bring:
- 6 to 8+ years experience in user research, 3+ years experience managing research teams.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, other related fields, or equivalent practical experience.
- Comfortable presenting to groups, working cross-functionally to build relationships, and crafting compelling stories from data.
- Deep understanding of different qualitative and quantitative research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase.
- Demonstrated capability in building research capacity and thinking in organizations - advising, training, and supporting others to elevate their research quality and utility.
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with product, design, and marketing teams to define the most important research questions, and have a clear POV on the most important insights needed for their success.
- Advise and support internal teams in the formulation and execution of end-to-end research projects that align with research questions, ensuring effective research design, high quality synthesis of insights, and thoughtful translation of insights into product and service features.
- Build Better’s research toolkit and library of insights, including interviews, surveys, usability testing, concept studies, participatory design, ethnographic observations, etc.
- Advance our ability to effectively communicate research insights in ways that make them easily accessible and actionable by various stakeholders, such as through visual information design.
- Effectively identify, source, and manage freelance research talent when external resources are required to execute well on specific research questions.
- Articulate a vision for user research in our product development process and overall company strategy, helping the leadership team to understand how we implement a user-centric approach across our organization.
- Help establish a consumer-centric culture and how to drive insights into our daily work. Not only will you need to drive the research capability, but how we as a team integrate research into our daily activities by teaching research curricula, so teams can learn the right way how to conduct their own studies and gain insights about their customers, when appropriate.
- Ensure accountability to user insights and goals throughout the product development process and lifecycle.
- Mentor colleagues, encouraging them to take appropriate risks, and providing constructive support, feedback, and critique.
- Recruit, develop and retain world-class talent.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.