Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
The Director of Research here at Better will be responsible for improving the quality and effectiveness of all user research capabilities within the organization. You will work collaboratively with the product organization to identify opportunities, set product strategy using user insights, and enable our team to innovate through a deep understanding of customer and partner needs. You will work closely with other leaders in the organization to promote a customer-centric mindset and help the business to make informed decisions, as well as to create best-in-class products that meet our design and usability standards.
Responsibilities will include:
- 6 to 8+ years experience in user research, 3+ years experience managing research teams.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, other related fields, or equivalent practical experience.
- Comfortable presenting to groups, working cross-functionally to build relationships, and crafting compelling stories from data.
- Deep understanding of different qualitative and quantitative research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase.
- Demonstrated capability in building research capacity and thinking in organizations - advising, training, and supporting others to elevate their research quality and utility.
- Work closely with product, design, and marketing teams to define the most important research questions, and have a clear POV on the most important insights needed for their success.
- Advise and support internal teams in the formulation and execution of end-to-end research projects that align with research questions, ensuring effective research design, high quality synthesis of insights, and thoughtful translation of insights into product and service features.
- Build Better’s research toolkit and library of insights, including interviews, surveys, usability testing, concept studies, participatory design, ethnographic observations, etc.
- Advance our ability to effectively communicate research insights in ways that make them easily accessible and actionable by various stakeholders, such as through visual information design.
- Effectively identify, source, and manage freelance research talent when external resources are required to execute well on specific research questions.
- Articulate a vision for user research in our product development process and overall company strategy, helping the leadership team to understand how we implement a user-centric approach across our organization.
- Help establish a consumer-centric culture and how to drive insights into our daily work. Not only will you need to drive the research capability, but how we as a team integrate research into our daily activities by teaching research curricula, so teams can learn the right way how to conduct their own studies and gain insights about their customers, when appropriate.
- Ensure accountability to user insights and goals throughout the product development process and lifecycle.
- Mentor colleagues, encouraging them to take appropriate risks, and providing constructive support, feedback, and critique.
- Recruit, develop and retain world-class talent.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.