We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
A Better opportunity: *Work From Home Opportunities 2 days/week*
Better is looking for a Mortgage Loan Underwriter to join our growing team! Using established underwriting guidelines, you will evaluate borrower financial and credit information in tandem with property valuations to inform lending decisions. Our underwriters work closely with all members of the production team throughout the process to bring loans to closing.
Beyond producing high quality loans, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. With offices in New York, Oakland, Gurgaon, Charlotte and Orange County we are quickly expanding in order deliver a delightful borrower experience through a combination of technology and people.
You will have the opportunity to wear many hats, ranging from a visionary redesigning the needlessly complex mortgage process; a data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem solver working with highly skilled engineers and industry experts to resolve technical and operational challenges.
Responsibilities will include:
- Underwrite and decision agency conforming and jumbo residential mortgage loans
- Verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents
- Review appraisal reports to identify and resolve any discrepancies discovered within
- Perform thorough analysis of applicant's income and expense data, asset documentation, credit reports, and property valuations in order to affirm borrower qualifies for loan
- Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness; provide risk opinions
- 7+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and Non-Conforming mortgages
- Expert knowledge of Desktop Underwriter (DU) & Loan Prospector/Loan Product Advisor (LP/LPA)
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process
- Ability to carry out requisite loan calculations (DTI, LTV, etc.)
- Capable of preparing findings reports
- Ability to handle multiple files simultaneously
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Perform well in team environments
- The drive to build something new
- Management experience a plus
- Ability to work from the local office - this role is not available remotely.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.