About Better Cover:
Better Cover is one of Better’s newest, most exciting ventures: a licensed insurance agency building a seamless, digital, customer-first insurance experience. Better’s mission is to improve access to home ownership for a new generation of Americans, and here at Better Cover, our mission is to help you protect your home with a transparent and comprehensive homeowners insurance policy. We are looking for you, a collaborative and opinionated full-stack engineer, to help us make this vision a reality.
Rife with antiquated processes, the numerous industries (insurance, for example) that support Americans in their pursuit of homeownership have remained fundamentally unchanged since the 1970s. As we break down the entrenchments that bar so many from the benefits of homeownership and build Better Cover, we adhere to three basic principles:
- Delivering a seamless and delightful experience that puts the customer first and always shows our best price.
- The best possible value, clearly and transparently communicated to the customer. A fully digitally native shopping and purchase experience consistent with the Better brand and mission.
- The experience will be supported by a non-commissioned customer operations team, not a sales team.
Trying to modernize a decades old industry isn’t easy, but it is supremely rewarding. Become part of the Better Cover team.
Our backers have helped build some of most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank and others have invested over $85MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to purchase and protect their home. Building wealth rather than rent for life. Our tech team is small, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems.
We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits. Part-time remote is great with us, although we need you to spend some significant fraction of your time at our office in downtown Manhattan.
- Open source authors of popular projects like Annoy and Holder
- Alumni of Spotify, Google, Founders Fund, and Microsoft
- A Head of Engineering who writes a fun blog
- Ship code 50-100 times every day
- Node.js for the main app
- Python (3.6) and Scala for services
- Ember.js, Bootstrap, React, and SCSS on the frontend
- ES6 across the stack
- Postgres for the database
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops
- AWS for infrastructure: EC2, S3, SWF, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
If you’re passionate about solving complex problems that have a real world impact, get in touch!
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. You try. You fail. You try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better Cover.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, you will have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.