Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $1.5 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a driven DevOps Engineer to work directly with our Head of Platform Engineering.
- Our services are deployed in Docker containers orchestrated by Kubernetes (provisioned with kops) running on AWS.
- Most of our services use Node.js and Python 3.
- On the frontend we use Ember, React, and Sass.
- We use Postgres via AWS RDS as our primary database engine.
- At the edge we use Kong as our API gateway.
- We make heavy use of functional testing with Selenium, Zalenium, and BrowserStack.
- We practice continuous integration and continuous deployment (using Buildkite), deploying to production 30+ times a day.
- We practice Infrastructure-as-Code and GitOps using Terraform and Atlantis.
- We use Datadog for metrics, LogDNA for logging, and Rollbar for exception tracking.
- We use PagerDuty and VictorOps for on-call and incident management.
- We implement ChatOps with Hubot and Slack.
- We take documentation seriously; for example, major decisions are made through Lightweight Architecture Decision Records and production issues are always followed up with incident reports.
- For business intelligence we use Metabase and Tableau.
- For analytics we use Segment, Amazon Redshift, and (soon) Apache Airflow.
Learn more: https://stackshare.io/better/better
Responsibilities will include:
- Help the platform team build, secure, and manage core cloud infrastructure, including Kubernetes clusters, databases, CI/CD systems, and software-defined networking.
- Build internal tools to improve performance, quality, delivery, and observability.
- Participate in on-call rotations, troubleshoot performance and reliability issues, improve our runbooks, and practice incident response.
- Improve documentation for mission-critical systems and processes.
- Improve scalability and reliability through monitoring services and infrastructure.
- You have 2+ years of infrastructure engineering experience in a cloud environment.
- You manage infrastructure with tools like Terraform, Ansible, or Packer.
- You are proficient with a Unix shell.
- You automate tasks using Python, bash, or make.
- You are familiar with Docker and Kubernetes.
- You’ve implemented CI/CD pipelines using platforms like Buildkite, Jenkins, or CircleCI.
- You have prior experience with databases, preferably in the cloud.
- You can be trusted to diagnose and triage across multi-layered stacks (AWS/Kubernetes/application).
- You are comfortable with a high degree of autonomy.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.