We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get a home and our customers love it. By combining smarter technology with an award-winning team of mortgage experts, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
So far, we’ve:
- Helped more than 10,000 families get homes
- Financed over $3B in loans
- Saved families an average of $32,000 in fees over the life of their loans
- Grew our geographic coverage to 36 states, up from 15 states last year
And we’re not slowing down. We continue to outpace the rest of the industry at every turn.
Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank, American Express, and others have invested over $150MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a driven Ops/Infrastructure Engineer to work directly with our Head of Platform Engineering.
- Our services are deployed in Docker containers orchestrated by Kubernetes (provisioned with kops) running on AWS.
- Most of our services use Node.js and Python 3.
- On the frontend we use Ember, React, and Sass.
- We use Postgres via AWS RDS as our primary database engine.
- At the edge we use Kong as our API gateway.
- We make heavy use of functional testing with Selenium, Zalenium, and BrowserStack.
- We practice continuous integration and continuous deployment (using Buildkite), deploying to production 30+ times a day.
- We practice Infrastructure-as-Code and GitOps using Terraform and Atlantis.
- We use Datadog for metrics, LogDNA for logging, and Rollbar for exception tracking.
- We use PagerDuty and VictorOps for on-call and incident management.
- We implement ChatOps with Hubot and Slack.
- We take documentation seriously; for example, major decisions are made through Lightweight Architecture Decision Records and production issues are always followed up with incident reports.
- For business intelligence we use Metabase and Tableau.
- For analytics we use Segment, Amazon Redshift, and (soon) Apache Airflow.
Learn more: https://stackshare.io/better/better
Responsibilities will include:
- Help the platform team build, secure, and manage core cloud infrastructure, including Kubernetes clusters, databases, CI/CD systems, and software-defined networking.
- Build internal tools to improve performance, quality, delivery, and observability.
- Participate in on-call rotations, troubleshoot performance and reliability issues, improve our runbooks, and practice incident response.
- Improve documentation for mission-critical systems and processes.
- Improve scalability and reliability through monitoring services and infrastructure.
- You have 2+ years of infrastructure engineering experience in a cloud environment.
- You manage infrastructure with tools like Terraform, Ansible, or Packer.
- You are proficient with a Unix shell.
- You automate tasks using Python, bash, or make.
- You are familiar with Docker and Kubernetes.
- You’ve implemented CI/CD pipelines using platforms like Buildkite, Jenkins, or CircleCI.
- You have prior experience with databases, preferably in the cloud.
- You can be trusted to diagnose and triage across multi-layered stacks (AWS/Kubernetes/application).
- You are comfortable with a high degree of autonomy.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.