We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get home and our customers love it. By combining smarter technology with an award-winning team of mortgage experts, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
So far, we’ve:
- Helped more than 10,000 families get home
- Financed over $2B in loans
- Saved families an average of $32,000 in fees over the life of their loans
- Grew our geographic coverage to 35 states, up from 15 states from a year ago
And we’re not slowing down. We continue to outpace the rest of the industry at every turn.
Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank, American Express, and others have invested over $85MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for a driven Ops/Infrastructure Engineer to work directly with our Head of Platform Engineering. This individual will help to ensure we maintain security best practices by designing, implementing and supporting solutions driven by our business needs. The ideal candidate takes pride in their work and thrives in a collaborative environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Supporting our Cloud infrastructure to improve reliability, availability and security (AWS is our primary provider).
- Administering, maintaining and supporting applications and infrastructure deployed across our microservices architecture.
- Performing a wide variety of software/hardware configuration and maintenance, as well as operational support tasks for our backend systems (AWS Infrastructure, Relational Databases, Kubernetes clusters, etc).
- Collaborating with other engineers to analyze and tune performance of our infrastructure across multiple offices.
- Assisting with 24/7 monitoring of environments to ensure SLA uptime/stability, including rotational coverage for various after-hours deployments/maintenance windows.
- You have 5+ years of infrastructure engineering experience in a cloud environment
- You are well versed with Configuration Management tools, such as Terraform (preferred), Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Salt.
- You have extensive experience scripting with automation tools, such as Shell, Python, and/or Perl.
- You have hands-on experience with containerization platforms, particularly Kubernetes and Docker.
- You are familiar with production system basics, including network management, DNS, credential management, logging, cron, process management, and package management.
- You have a grasp of network fundamentals, such as WAN, peering and IPSec tunnels.
- You can be trusted to diagnose and triage across multi layered stacks (AWS/Kubernetes/Application).
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.