We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get home and our customers love it. By combining the technology people expect with a seamless customer service experience, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
In 2018 alone, we’ve helped over 10,000 families get home, saving them on average $3,500 in upfront fees and days of stress-filled time.
Our backers have helped build some of most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank and others have invested over $85MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Better is looking for an entrepreneurial-minded finance leader to join our team as VP of FP&A. This person can expect to work as a thought partner to the highest levels of leadership, including our CEO and CFO, and should be driven to make a lasting impact on the company’s overall success. The VP of Financial Planning & Analysis will play a key role in all financial planning efforts across the organization, including budgeting, investor relations, and other strategic matters. The ideal candidate isn’t afraid to build something from scratch, takes pride in their work and operates well in whitespace.
Responsibilities will include:
- Enable better decision making by streamlining FP&A operations to deliver deeper analysis on faster timelines
- Build out FP&A team and oversee performance management to enable team to do its best work
- Lead company-wide monthly/quarterly forecasting processes, including assisting in the development of corporate targets
- Collaborate with Executive team on scoping/scaling strategic projects and assessing investment decisions
- Support organizational peers on financial issues impacting their areas of accountability, including the development of business and financial cases to support new initiatives
- Spearhead activities to optimize our unit economics and maximize customer lifetime value
- Identify and monitor significant business trends and variances, including in revenue, expenses, headcount, capital, balance sheet and cash flow items. Proactively inform senior leadership of any observations and provide insightful suggestions for improvement.
- Assist in preparation of materials for Board of Directors and prospective investors
- 8+ years of functional experience in an FP&A role: preference for experience on the finance team of a venture-backed startup that has experienced rapid revenue and employee growth
- Strong leadership: demonstrated ability to roll-up sleeves and work with team members in a hands-on management capacity
- Highly advanced modeling and presentation skills
- Ability to think creatively
- Highly driven and self-motivated
- MBA preferred
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.