We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get home and our customers love it. By combining the technology people expect with a seamless customer service experience, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
In 2018 alone, we’ve helped over 10,000 families get home, saving them on average $3,500 in upfront fees and days of stress-filled time.
Our backers have helped build some of most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank and others have invested over $85MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Better is hiring a Mortgage Quality Control Director to oversee and expand our audit/quality control function. You will work cross collaboratively with both the Mortgage Operations and Legal and Compliance teams to ensure our origination processes comply with state, federal, and investor regulations.
Responsibilities will include:
- Expand and implement procedures for audit/quality control processes, including mortgage origination, pre and post close review, and servicing.
- Perform QC audits of all loan types according to sampling percentages set internally or by individual investors.
- Serve as liaison between Better and external vendors providing mortgage origination/servicing reviews.
- Track, monitor and report on customer complaints.
- Perform internal investigations as needed.
- Assist the General Counsel and CCO with special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, math or statistics. JD a plus.
- Underwriting experience in financial industry, with 2 years of quality control and/or audit experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- In-depth knowledge of mortgage underwriting guidelines or demonstrated mastery of an equally complex regulatory framework.
- Capable of navigating multiple lending and audit platforms.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Works with integrity, making sure to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Exhibits strong attention to detail, project planning, and multi-tasking skills.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.