Beto for America is seeking a Press Secretary to coordinate day-to-day press activities, draft press releases, monitor media issues, and maintain a media contact database, develop and cultivate press contacts, develop media pitches, identify appropriate press target lists, and identify hot media topics. The Press Secretary reports directly to the Communications Director
Through news monitoring and collaboration with the program team, the Press Secretary will identify opportunities to draft press releases, media alerts and other amplification opportunities to highlight the campaign's activities throughout the state.
This position reports to the Communications Director.
- Monitoring, researching, analyzing, and responding to breaking news on NH-related and campaign-specific news;
- Rapidly responding in a complex and fast-paced organization;
- Working with the media in positive and adverse situations, including extensive pitching. Work as news unfolds, producing draft messaging including talking points, statements and press releases and engaging with the media often outside a regular work day;
- Amplifying earned media coverage of campaign activities on TV, radio, and print mediums;
- Assisting the Communications Director with the management and execution of events, including press conferences, media availabilities, editorial board meetings, and other communications-related events;
- Working cooperatively and collaboratively with others across business units, functional departments and disciplines, including political and research teams;
- Creating effective partnerships at all levels of the organization;
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- 2-3 years experience with organizational communications, preferably in a political or campaign setting;
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills with a strong sense of urgency and the ability to work effectively under pressure;
- Proven writing skills as well as the communications skills necessary to elicit the right information from a variety of sources;
- Must be self-driven and well-versed in developing communication materials, eager to pitch extensively, and able to meet tight deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor;
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word and Outlook), Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive), and social media;
- Flexibility with work schedule; this position requires frequent evening and weekend work to respond to breaking news;
- Ability to travel 10-20% of the time;
- Must be comfortable working in a high-volume environment and have the ability to closely follow the messaging of the organization on a wide variety of issues
Beto For America is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.