Bertram Capital is a private equity firm targeting investments in lower middle market companies. Since its inception in 2006, the firm has raised over $3B of capital commitments. Bertram has distinguished itself in the private equity community by combining venture capital operating methodologies with private equity financial discipline to empower its portfolio companies to unlock their full business potential. This approach is unique in that Bertram is not singularly focused on achieving its investment returns through financial engineering and the extraction of near-term cash flow. Instead, Bertram focuses on reinvestment and technology enablement to drive growth and value through digital marketing, e-commerce, big data and analytics, application development and internal and external platform optimization.
Visit www.bcap.com for more information.
We are seeking an AI Machine Learning Scientist to join the Bertram Labs team and facilitate the adoption of Gen AI techniques and algorithms across Bertram Capital’s Mid-Market Portfolio Companies. This role has both strategic and “hands on keys” components to solve business solutions and increase EBITDA of our portfolio companies. This person will work collaboratively with the Bertram Labs team including: Data Science, Software Engineering, and Performance Marketing.
- Develop and implement machine learning algorithms to improve Generative AI solutions focusing on NLP/LLM areas
- Using ML techniques, identify the appropriate training and evaluation data, prompt engineering, prompt chaining, etc.
- Identify and build the best performant solutions/models to solve specific business problems
- Apply relevant research to experiment and fine tune generative AI models for portfolio companies and evaluate trade-offs in performance / cost vs equivalent vendor or open source capabilities
- Stay up to date with the latest NLP/LLM generative AI techniques and trends
- Communicate recommendations and data findings cross functionally
- Master's or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field
- Strong experience in machine learning algorithms with a focus on NLP/NLU, LLMs and Generative AI
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, TensorFlow/PyTorch and NLP techniques and tools such as Hugging Face, OpenAI GPT models
- Knowledge of statistical methods and data modeling
- Strong problem-solving and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team
Compensation and Benefits
The expected salary range for this position is: $140,000- $170,000 total annual compensation. Offered salary may be based on a variety of factors including skills, experience, and qualifications for the role. Other compensation includes carried interest/profit sharing.
Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits are provided at no cost to the employee. We offer a generous 401K match as well as a “take what you need” PTO policy. Other perks include: cell phone stipend, WFH allowance on qualified expenses, engaging team events and holiday parties.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Bertram Capital we value and celebrate the many perspectives that arise from a variety of cultures, genders, religions, national origins, ages, abilities, socioeconomic status and sexual orientation. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) ensures that Bertram is a place that attracts, grows, and promotes top talent from all backgrounds.