Social Media Intern
Location: Washington, DC
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Type: Full time
Bernie 2020 Internship Program
The Bernie 2020 Internship Program is designed to give substantial real-life exposure to campaign politics on a national level. We’re not just fighting to get Sen. Sanders elected, we’re fighting to ensure our political system works for everyone.
What are the benefits of the Bernie 2020 Internship Program?
- An opportunity to work day to day with campaign staff who are passionate about advancing progressive policy
- Receive first hand experience with the ins and outs of how presidential campaigns are run and how they function
- Strengthen your understanding of the political process and prepare for future political opportunities
- Cultivate meaningful skills while forming lasting connections
About Bernie 2020 Communications Department:
The Communications Department helps facilitate Bernie 2020’s conversation with the public. Our team works to promote Sen. Bernie Sanders’ agenda, elevate and amplify stories of everyday Americans, and provide support to our teams across the country.
The Social Media team within the Communications Department conceptualizes, drafts, designs and analyzes dozens of posts across Bernie’s social media platforms every day in addition to working with other departments and state staff on their design and digital needs.
Essential Duties and Learning Objectives:
Interns will be expected to assist the Social Media and Communications team through:
- Drafting social media posts,
- Assisting with design and graphics needs,
- Analysis of social media trends and post data,
- Organizing and archiving visual assets,
- Other duties as assigned.
Interns can expect to learn:
- Critical thinking skills, for example, how to identify important news relevant to the mission
- Research and project management skills
- Graphic design and visual skills
- Optimizing content for individual social media platforms
- Writing skills, including how to craft high quality, compelling content
Who are we looking for?
- Hardworking, motivated, passionate future leaders interested in gaining experience and involvement in Democratic political communications.
- Students or recent graduates majoring in communications, design, journalism, politics, or other relevant coursework
- Those who have immediate availability and the capacity to intern full-time
- Those who can be available for evening or weekend work, and those who can be able during normal business hours
Stipend equivalent to $20/hour
Application Deadline: Rolling
Please visit https://boards.greenhouse.io/bernie2020 to complete the application and submit your resume and cover letter.
Full Time employees are eligible for benefits, including health care, vision, and dental insurance; sick leave, paid time off, cell phone stipend, and more.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
This campaign is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring, in programming, and in all other aspects of the work we do. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are deeply connected to our mission, our success, and to serving the American people. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building policies, procedures and services that uplift and protect everyone and do not lead to inequalities;
- Creating teams and relationships among staff, volunteers, and supporters that are reflective of the populations we serve;
- Increasing engagement of communities of color, women, those with disabilities, and all people historically shut out of electoral and caucus processes;
- Prioritizing the inclusion of diverse communities in internal leadership;
- Fostering a culture of open-mindedness, compassion, and inclusiveness;
- Creating and maintaining opportunities for engagement, education, and discourse related to issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion; and
- Changing the historical culture of inequity and exclusion pervasive in political campaigns.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Campaign recruits, hires, trains, transfers, and promotes qualified candidates on the basis of individual merit and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.