National Out of State Volunteer Coordinator
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Type: Full time
Application Deadline: Rolling
Bernie 2020 is seeking a motivated, dynamic Out of State Volunteer Coordinator. Our campaign has an ambitious goal: to build the largest national grassroots operation in campaign history. This will require empowering volunteers, activist leaders, and supporters to organize their communities to take on Trump and the billionaire class at an unprecedented scale. This role is critical to the coordination of making this happen, by creating and implementing a national program to organize volunteers from around the country to travel to key early primary states like Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina, and others, and do the important work that will help us win.
The National Out of State Volunteer Coordinator will set and implement strategy for placing volunteers in battleground states who want to make a trip to support Bernie on the ground where the campaign needs it most. Our campaign will harness its large national grassroots volunteer base to complete this effort, and the role will be coordinated within the national organizing program. We encourage you to apply for this position if you are passionate about identifying key areas in battleground states that need volunteers from out of state, and can help build a system that plugs volunteers into a streamlined program. The ideal candidate enjoys spending time coordinating logistics, connecting and working with a variety of staff and supporters, and creating and implementing organizing strategy. The ideal candidate should have excellent time management skills, an ability to juggle several projects and still meet deadlines, and good judgement.
- Help to develop and implement national out of state volunteer program, in coordination with national organizing, state organizing, and digital staff.
- Set, meet and exceed benchmarks for the out of state volunteer program nationally. Work to ensure our out of state volunteer capacity meets our strategic campaign needs.
- Coordinate between the national organizing program and state organizing programs to determine top priorities for out of state volunteers.
- Collaborate with departments across the campaign to build a digital and text recruitment strategy to bring out of state volunteers into key states.
- Create national systems for supporting and managing out of state volunteers in multiple states, including systems to support travel and accommodations for out of state volunteers.
- Assist in coordinating and planning regular trips for volunteers in surrounding states to partake in sustained voter contact in battleground states.
- Actively build an organizational culture that is welcoming and inspiring and a working environment that is inclusive and equitable.
- Be available for a 6-day work week.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Implement management structure for the out of state volunteer team to track metrics and hold staff accountable to data-driven goals.
- Model clear communication, expectation setting, and empowering culture for the out of state volunteer team.
- This position may eventually include supervisory duties.
- Exceptional organizing and leadership development skills
- At least one cycle of campaign field organizing experience in a statewide race or presidential campaign strongly preferred
- Experience with peer-to-peer texting and/or email recruitment systems strongly preferred
- A working knowledge of the structure of political campaigns.
- Experience with coordinating travel logistics.
- Experience with GOTV best practices.
- Demonstrated experience managing teams to meet specific goals.
- Ability to train in both hard and soft skill development.
- Incredible attention to detail and personal organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills. Ability to remain a personable and friendly demeanor.
- Ability to thrive in a high-pressure environment that may include long hours, nights, and weekends.
- Experience in out of state volunteer coordination, mobilizing large groups of people, and logistics around scheduling and travel.
- Extensive organizing experience.
- Public speaking skills and/or experience leading trainings for medium-sized or large groups.
Full Time employees are eligible for benefits, including health care, vision, and dental insurance; sick leave, paid time off, cell phone stipend, and more.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
This campaign is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring, in programming, and in all other aspects of the work we do. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are deeply connected to our mission, our success, and to serving the American people. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building policies, procedures and services that uplift and protect everyone and do not lead to inequalities;
- Creating teams and relationships among staff, volunteers, and supporters that are reflective of the populations we serve;
- Increasing engagement of communities of color, women, those with disabilities, and all people historically shut out of electoral and caucus processes;
- Prioritizing the inclusion of diverse communities in internal leadership;
- Fostering a culture of open-mindedness, compassion, and inclusiveness;
- Creating and maintaining opportunities for engagement, education, and discourse related to issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion; and
- Changing the historical culture of inequity and exclusion pervasive in political campaigns.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Campaign recruits, hires, trains, transfers, and promotes qualified candidates on the basis of individual merit and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.