Iowa Data Intern
Location: Des Moines, IA
Start Date: Immediate
Application Deadline: Rolling
Bernie 2020 Internship Program
The Bernie 2020 Internship Program is designed to give substantial real-life exposure to campaign politics on a national level. We’re not just fighting to get Sen. Sanders elected, we’re fighting to ensure our political system works for everyone.
What are the benefits of the Bernie 2020 Internship Program?
- An opportunity to work day to day with campaign staff who are passionate about advancing progressive policy
- Receive first hand experience with the ins and outs of how presidential campaigns are run and how they function
- Strengthen your understanding of the political process and prepare for future political opportunities
- Cultivate meaningful skills while forming lasting connections
Essential Duties and Learning Objectives:
Data intern can expect to be working in SQL for the majority of their time. Will be running requests that pull information vital to the field and political programs from an extensive database of voter information. Will also be doing a lot of data-checking and cleaning from spreadsheets.
Interns can expect to learn:
- Critical thinking skills,
- Research and Data management skills
- Writing skills,
- Workplace communication and decorum,
- An understanding of the skills and knowledge needed for professional success,
- An understanding of how political campaigns operate,
- And more.
We are looking for one of two types of experience: VAN EXPERIENCE during a campaign or DATABASE EXPERIENCE either professionally or academically”.
- Have worked in a campaign either professionally or as a super vol (20+ hours a week for more than a month)
- Know how to create complex queries in VAN
- Know how to save queries as templates for other organizers
- Know how to create complex, branching scripts in VAN (text will be provided)
- Know how to create virtual phonebanks with specified information from queries
- Know how to do bulk adds and exports
- Know how to cut turf in VAN for miniVAN
- Know how to administer permissions
- Willingness and ability to learn any of these skills that you do not possess
- Willingness to learn SQL and other programming languages for task automation a plus
- Experience with SQL databases, either in a professional or academic setting
- Experience with building complex formulas in Excel or Google Sheets (No VBA experience required)
- Programming experience in any language a plus
- Previous campaign experience a plus
Who are we looking for?
- Hardworking, motivated, passionate future leaders interested in gaining experience and involvement in Democratic politics.
- Students majoring in computer science, database administration, digital security, management information systems, public administration, policy, politics, government, or other relevant coursework, in addition to those majoring in all other courses of study; however, non-students are encouraged to apply.
- Those who have immediate availability and the capacity to intern for at least 20-40 hours per work
- Those who can be available for evening or weekend work, and those who can be able during normal business hours
Stipend equivalent to $15/hour.
Full-time Employees are eligible for benefits.
Application Deadline: Rolling
Please visit https://boards.greenhouse.io/bernie2020 to complete the application and submit your resume and cover letter.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
This campaign is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring, in programming, and in all other aspects of the work we do. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are deeply connected to our mission, our success, and to serving the American people. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building policies, procedures and services that uplift and protect everyone and do not lead to inequalities;
- Creating teams and relationships among staff, volunteers, and supporters that are reflective of the populations we serve;
- Increasing engagement of communities of color, women, those with disabilities, and all people historically shut out of electoral and caucus processes;
- Prioritizing the inclusion of diverse communities in internal leadership;
- Fostering a culture of open-mindedness, compassion, and inclusiveness;
- Creating and maintaining opportunities for engagement, education, and discourse related to issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion; and
- Changing the historical culture of inequity and exclusion pervasive in political campaigns.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Campaign recruits, hires, trains, transfers, and promotes qualified candidates on the basis of individual merit and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.