Iowa Campus Outreach Director
Application Deadline: Rolling
Desired Start Date: ASAP
Type: Full Time
Bernie 2020 is seeking a motivated, dynamic Campus Outreach Director to join our Iowa team. Our campaign has an ambitious goal: to build the largest national grassroots operation in campaign history. This will require empowering volunteers, activist leaders, and supporters to organize their communities to take on Trump and the billionaire class at an unprecedented scale.
The Campus Outreach Director is in charge of making sure the campaign organizes colleges and high school campuses across Iowa. We encourage you to apply for this position if you are passionate about building a powerful staff team that can support volunteers to do the critical work of building grassroots power. The ideal candidate excels at team management, field strategy, and leadership development.
- Set, meet and exceed benchmarks for voter contact, volunteer recruitment, grassroots engagement and GOTV.
- Conduct research on student populations in Iowa and craft a plan to deliver the student vote
- Coordinate campus field strategy with State Organizing Team.
- Build a massive campus field program that can recruit and activate volunteers and volunteer leaders to grow our voter contact program and mobilize voters at scale.
- Manage training program for student volunteers to build powerful, persuasive volunteer teams and teach the campaign’s theory of change.
- Work collaboratively with team members and leadership to improve the organizing program and provide feedback and lessons-learned. Participate in regular debriefs and actively seek out and share best practices.
- Actively build an organizational culture that is welcoming and inspiring and a working environment that is inclusive and equitable.
- In-state travel by car.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience managing an organizing program, preferably involving student populations.
- Experience in a field role managing large number of staff and volunteer leaders.
- Demonstrated experience in electoral, community, labor, or movement organizing.
- Demonstrated experience managing teams to meet specific goals.
- Capable of managing large quantities of data in coordination with data team.
- Ability to train in both hard and soft skill development.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills. Ability to maintain a personable and friendly demeanor.
- Comfort working in fast-paced environments, and ability to navigate complex and nuanced situations.
- Access to reliable transportation due to the extremely limited public transportation
- Commitment to building strong relationships across race, gender, class, and other group identities. Understanding of and self-awareness around the intersections of race, gender, sexuality, and other identities.
This role will lead a team of staff and volunteer organizers
Full Time employees are eligible for benefits, including health care, vision, and dental insurance; sick leave, paid time off, cell phone stipend, and more.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
This campaign is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in hiring, in programming, and in all other aspects of the work we do. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are deeply connected to our mission, our success, and to serving the American people. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building policies, procedures and services that uplift and protect everyone and do not lead to inequalities;
- Creating teams and relationships among staff, volunteers, and supporters that are reflective of the populations we serve;
- Increasing engagement of communities of color, women, those with disabilities, and all people historically shut out of electoral and caucus processes;
- Prioritizing the inclusion of diverse communities in internal leadership;
- Fostering a culture of open-mindedness, compassion, and inclusiveness;
- Creating and maintaining opportunities for engagement, education, and discourse related to issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion; and
- Changing the historical culture of inequity and exclusion pervasive in political campaigns.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Campaign recruits, hires, trains, transfers, and promotes qualified candidates on the basis of individual merit and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.