BerlinRosen is a leading national public relations and strategic communications firm delivering high impact media, digital and creative strategies to top organizations, companies, and candidates across the United States. Named one of America's best PR agencies by Forbes, BerlinRosen was founded in 2005 by Valerie Berlin and Jonathan Rosen and has grown to a staff of more than 200 with offices in New York City, Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles.
People of color, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. BerlinRosen is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognizes that its continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist, and we are committed to helping all staff develop and grow.
ABOUT THE NEW YORK PUBLIC AFFAIRS SUMMER INTERNSHIP
BerlinRosen is seeking highly motivated individuals who are interested in getting hands-on experience in communications, media advocacy and campaign strategy. Interns will learn the basics of high-level communications strategizing, writing, pitching and advocacy.
Our Summer 2021 Internship Program runs from early May to September 3, 2021. It is fully remote within the U.S.
Interns will be assigned to work with a New York Region Public Affairs and Cities Public Relations practice area, but may collaborate with other divisions as needed. Interns will be asked to focus on a range of projects, including longer-term and day-to-day/immediate tasks assigned by their team.
This team focuses on issues and clients related to nonprofit, real estate, infrastructure, affordable housing, architecture, design, hospitality & lifestyle, and other advocacy campaigns in the New York area and expanding nationally. Interns’ responsibilities will include building press lists, gathering media clips, doing media analysis and research projects, pitch calls to reporters, copy-editing and writing press releases.
As an intern on our team, you will…
- Learn the basics of high-level communications strategizing and media relations
- Draft daily reports, build press lists, gather media clips, do media analyses and research projects, pitch calls to reporters and copy-edit
- Assist with a variety of communications- and team-related assignments and tasks as necessary
- Self-motivation, good organizational skills, detail-orientation, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong writing abilities: able to write clear and persuasive copy, quickly
- Ability to work with a team to meet group objectives
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with the press and community contacts
- Demonstrated interest in news, politics and current events
- Excellent computer skills including Google Suite products, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Strong social media skills
- Research and database skills are a plus for work on media databases TVEyes or Cision
- Interns must be able to work 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday, on a roughly 9-to-5 Eastern Time schedule. Do not apply if you cannot meet this basic requirement.
- Compensation: $17 / hour
- $200 stipend to be used to support your work-from-home setup (plus company-provided laptop)
- 3 days of PTO for the duration of the internship
- Access to professional development programs geared specifically toward interns and individuals just beginning their careers
While we accept applications on a rolling basis, priority will be given to candidates who apply by February 22, 2021. If you are interested in multiple teams or issues, please state that in your cover letter and we will take it into consideration.
*Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot reply to all submissions. We will contact applicants directly with requests for interviews. Please do not call or email to check on the status of your application. Please note, if hired, you may be assigned to a different team than your first preference.