At Berkadia, our Senior Underwriters play a critical role in delivering an exceptional and smooth experience for our clients. Berkadia has an immediate opportunity for an experienced professional to join us as on our Fannie Mae Underwriting Team. Using your relationship-building skills and related industry knowledge, you will be responsible for analyzing and underwriting potential loans on complex commercial real estate loan applications across a broad spectrum of assets. In addition, you will work closely with our Deputy Chief Underwriters in the establishment of operational processes associated with efficiently and expeditiously executing these transactions.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Provide training and mentoring internally to other underwriters, analysts, processors, and other team members as needed.
- Work with the Deputy Chief Underwriter to ensure adherence to the Company’s policies and procedures associated with its underwriting standards.
- Critically review borrower credit information, third party reports, property financial and physical information to determine whether the borrower and property meet program requirements.
- Draft and finalize the underwriting submittal package, which includes describing the transaction’s strengths and weaknesses, discussing risks and mitigants, and requesting any associated waivers.
- Provide necessary support and direction during the closing process to assure conformity with the major credit terms of the transaction.
- Remain current on programs, policies, and legislation, including participation in regular training with Fannie Mae and other funding providers.
- Participate in process improvements and technological enhancements that facilitate smooth deal execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you will need to be successful in this role
- Minimum five years prior conventional underwriting experience at a commercial mortgage lending firm required.
- Previous experience working on FMAC market rate loans preferred.
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent.
- Exceptional credit sense, judgment and decision making skills, with demonstrable technical skills in underwriting, structuring, and closing complex deals.
- Possess thorough knowledge of products, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Requires an independent worker with strong project management skills, excellent accuracy and attention to details, and an ability to adjust to industry changes.
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite.
Berkadia, a joint venture of Berkshire Hathaway and Jefferies Financial Group, is a leader in the commercial real estate industry, offering a robust suite of services to our multifamily and commercial property clients. Powered by deep relationships and industry-changing technology, our people sell, finance, and service commercial real estate, providing support for the entire life cycle of our clients’ assets. Our unique ownership structure allows us to put the client’s interests first and creates a marketplace that delivers a superior experience.
Applicants who require accommodations to participate in the interview process should contact the Talent Acquisition Team to arrange for such accommodations by emailing: Talent.Acquisition@Berkadia.com
Berkadia does not share salary ranges in its job postings. Any salary-related information you see posted externally has not been provided or verified by Berkadia and may not be accurate.
Berkadia is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants and employees for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.