About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop healthy, tasty, and sustainable food by unlocking the potential of plant genetic diversity. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform layers machine learning and big data approaches with breeding and plant biology knowledge, enabling more efficient paths to improve plant genetics and accelerate the product development process. Benson Hill brings a unique and integrated approach to our product and platform development—we span a broad workflow, from trait and seed development, to genome editing and breeding, all the way to farmer engagement and ingredient creation. In all of our work, we aim to create better varieties and ingredients that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious products. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
OUR PURPOSE AND CORE VALUES
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- BE BOLD! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- BE INSPIRED! We have purpose in our work-we are curious, engaged, and have fun. We maintain an active learning mindset and are motivated by diverse people and thoughts. We are energized by all innovators and together we aim to make an impact and contribute to building a better world.
- BE REAL! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The Gene Editing & Trait Discovery (GETD) Department is responsible for developing new plant traits and gene editing technologies with the end product and commercial impact in mind. We are an innovative, cross functional team that works directly with partners across the technology organization to design the next generation of molecular technologies, ingredients, and plant-based foods. Our approach is to use a data-driven mind set to leverage the capabilities of the CropOS platform to achieve rapid development cycles and move faster than the speed of biology. We are a diverse, energized, and highly experienced team that values different perspectives and a growth mindset. Our work is directly tied to key company deliverables and will have a positive impact on our food system and the environment.
The Scientist I will provide plant biology and genomics expertise to the Trait Discovery team. The team member will be responsible for applying a biological lens to data-driven target discovery, as well strategic data application and acquisition. The team member will have the opportunity to interface with data science, breeding, gene editing, and food innovation teams. This role will have a direct impact on future food innovation at Benson Hill.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Contribute to a cross-functional team focused on leveraging data insights to develop plant traits
- Apply expertise to identify targets for breeding and gene editing applications
- Connect with stakeholders across functional teams and represent trait discovery work at a high level
- Document decisions and processes in an organized and accessible manner
- Build data visualizations and perform analyses using analytics platforms
- Create and sustain systems that facilitate workflow connectivity and progress tracking
(Competencies and Qualifications)
- PhD in Plant Biology, Plant Genetics, Molecular Biology, Computational Biology, or other related field
- +2 years relevant experience
- Proven track record of success in plant biology and/or genomics
- Worked in a highly collaborative team environment
- Strong technical expertise in plant molecular, cellular, tissue, organ, or whole organism research
- Existing knowledge base of plant breeding, gene editing, or machine learning
- Ability to communicate across technical domains
- Active learning and growth mindset
- Rigorous approach to process improvement and execution
- Confident and curious attitude when navigating boundary between known and unknown
- Ability to create direction in ambiguous spaces
- Adaptable to shifting priorities and directions
- Open and collaborative
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….