About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with advanced breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. The CropOS platform allows for more efficient product discovery and development for companies making genetic improvements to Crops impacting the food supply chain. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We have purpose in our work-we are curious, engaged, and have fun. We maintain an active learning mindset and are motivated by diverse people and thoughts. We are energized by all innovators and together we aim to make an impact and contribute to building a better world.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The CropOS Department leads the development of Benson Hill’s crop design platform, CropOS™ which combines machine learning and big data with advanced breeding methods, genome editing and plant biology to simplify and accelerate the product development process. The team partners with the Research & Development teams on the development of a portfolio of offerings (commercial product or platform related) that meet the needs of Benson Hill’s business units.
We are looking for a highly creative and innovative digital agronomist to join Benson Hill’s dynamic and growing Product Development and Analytics organization. You will be a member of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for collecting and leveraging agronomic, environmental, and on-farm crop outcome data to leverage and design for optimization in our soybean and yellow pea pre-commercial and commercial production systems for improved outcomes in yields, protein, oil and white flake. You will lead the delivery of experimental plans, data acquisition, insight generation, and integration into broader pre-commercial and production delivery for conscious integration of learnings back into our product development programs. Not only will you have the opportunity to work with cutting edge and emerging products and leverage the latest techniques in data acquisition and analytics, you will also have a wide range of opportunities for professional development. The position will be based in St. Louis.
- Define research requirements for commercial agronomy - experiments, trials with universities, head to heads in grower fields, data collected (quantitative & qualitative), and shift to complete digital on farm
- Liase with analytics team for properly designed experiments and analytical insights, learnings, and next actions
- Formalize herbicide, pesticide, fungicide recommendations; influence outcomes for product launch & support for commercial varieties; and synchronize back with R&D Operations on learnings and protocols
- Liase with grower marketing team regarding details for commercial recommendations
- Perform key research for on-farm agronomic management and formalize insights from commercial production fields
- Influence and participation in on farm data acquisition annually for all BH closed loop acres designed to optimize for commercial specification outcomes
Education and Experience:
- Masters in Agronomy, Soil Science, Plant breeding, Pathology, or related field
- 3-5 years’ experience in crop research or in agricultural industry
- Digital data acquisition experience is highly valued
- Programming experience is highly valued
- Excellent skills in systems studies, planning and execution of designed experiments, and formalization of analytical insights
- Strong familiarity with technology applications that support and accelerate product development such as data analytics, imaging, environmental analysis, crop performance, etc
- Experience in analysis of large agronomic data sets and ability to use proprietary and commercial analytical applications
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross functional and multi-cultural teams to achieve common goals
- Demonstrated experience leading and influencing activities of cross functional teams without direct reporting relationships
- Ability to lead and influence key stakeholders through challenges and opportunities, driving toward solutions
- Action-oriented and able to deliver timely results
- Strong organization and problem-solving capabilities
- Strong people leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to drive and to travel to trial and commercial production locations and for other supporting activities
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A collaborative environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….