About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We have purpose in our work-we are curious, engaged, and have fun. We maintain an active learning mindset and are motivated by diverse people and thoughts. We are energized by all innovators and together we aim to make an impact and contribute to building a better world.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
Benson Hill’s Breeding & Product Characterization (BPC) team creates commercial varieties that lead the industry for nutrition content and performance. Our germplasm is the chassis for bringing novel health and nutrition traits to market. BPC works across Benson Hill crops to evaluate field performance of novel traits, test new trait combinations, and incorporate traits into elite germplasm through innovative technologies. We partner with diverse technology teams and third-party partners to revolutionize Benson Hill’s breeding platform and product lineup.
We are actively seeking a Research Associate I to join our rapidly growing Research and Development Department. The RA I will be responsible for providing support through coordination and execution of research projects. Exercises independent judgement and offers guidance to more entry level employees. Identifies inefficiencies in current workflows/process, makes suggestions for improvement.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Organizing and executing Breeding operations, including planning, planting, crossing, tissue sampling, seed handling and analysis and data collection
- Maintain, organize, and summarize results of experiments, detailing issues, while problem solving.
- Lead tasks that need to be completed by other FTE & seasonal staff to achieve quality results.
- Managing a database of operations, phenotypes, genotypes, and seed inventory
- Creating technical reports, summaries, protocols, and data interpretation
- Operate and adjust various agriculture equipment such as: planters, sprayers, combines, seed threshers, seed counters, other field & lab equipment.
- Safely transport equipment to internal locations for success
- Maintains clean and organized facilities, equipment, and instruments.
- Adhere to all safety and seed stewardship protocols and expectations
- Identify/place fields for testing & communicate with field cooperators & customers
- Preparing seed for off-site nursery and field trial operations
- HS diploma + 4 years in desired area or bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or other relevant degree with 2 or more years of experience in Plant Breeding, Horticulture, Agronomy, Plant Biology, or related field preferred.
- Agriculture knowledge of practices and management
- Knowledge of precision equipment (Ex: GPS, geospatial systems, Trimble, etc.)
- Experience with agricultural equipment
- Understanding of plant breeding and genetics, ideally with experience in a breeding program
- Knowledge of MS Office applications
- Process improvement mindset with a strong drive to simplify complex operations
- Courage to promote ideas within an organization
- Team player who gives support when able and asks for it when needed
- Ability to communicate results to peers and leaders through written and verbal communications
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Chemical Applicator’s license within 3-6 months of hire.
- Must be able to obtain Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) & DOT Medical card within 3 months of hire.
- Ability to lift 60 lbs.
- Innovative mindset
- Must be capable of working extended hours during time-sensitive periods of growing season.
- Strong attention to detail
- Operate forklift in a safe manner
- Ability to focus and work independently with little direction
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….