About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The Crop Accelerator is a state-of-the-art, controlled environment research facility that allows Benson Hill to accelerate biology, by enabling the rapid development of feed, food, and food ingredients, ultimately positioning farmers and food companies to grow and deliver healthy, better tasting products. Our innovative facility has dynamically adaptive growth chambers providing 365 days of optimal growing conditions. Furthermore, Benson Hill’s CropOS technology coupled with the Crop Accelerator’s world-leading high-throughput phenotyping and automation capabilities enables predictive outcomes allowing Benson Hill to develop varieties significantly faster than traditional cropping methods; essentially moving us beyond the speed of biology.
We are actively seeking an Associate Manager to join our rapidly growing Crop Accelerator Team and directly supervise a small team of employees growing and propagating gene edited (GE) plants in a highly controlled environment. The Associate Manager will be responsible for assembling, analyzing and providing technical data to leadership and stakeholders. Candidate will have some management experience with a focus on the development of the team as well as their own leadership skills.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Work closely with partners across the Product & Platform Development Team, to ensure timelines and forecast are aligned; ensure data (KPIs and metrics) transparency across all leadership levels
- Be able to prioritize and work independently to meet goals and milestones
- Partner with Operations team and Controlled Environments Agriculture teams to align on forecasting, planning, and daily work plans
- Accountable for plant health and sampling for all tissue culture-derived material; ensure SOPs and process maps are up to date
- Proficient user of internal databases and tracking systems
- Partner with IT/Data Science/Data Management teams to certify data integrity, update pipeline health metrics, and assist with any software issues
- Responsible for data visualizations and reports
- Understand capacity, throughput and costs for all processes; work with supervisor to develop annual budgets
- Assign and communicate working schedules to staff as well as approve time off; audit employees’ time worked to ensure department is adequately resourced and that distribution of workload is equal.
- Must be able to communicate both positive and negative results to leadership and stakeholders in real time
- Coordinate the logistics of all plant grow-outs within the GE pipeline, as well as any process optimization experiments.
- Accountable to ensure all Standard Operating Procedures are up to date as well as training documents.
- BA with major in agronomy-related field, MS preferred
- +3 years relevant experience preferably with an indoor growing and/or greenhouse
- Experience with ag biotech pipelines and breeding highly preferrable
- Proficiency in data visualization tools will be considered a plus (QuickSight, AWS, R, PowerBi etc.)
- Proficient at Microsoft suite of products
- Skillful in ISO9001 Quality Management System or Excellence Through Stewardship in Ag Biotech Industry
- Argus and PRISM experience highly desirable
- Attention to detail, analytical skills, and collaborative nature
- Uses data to drive decision making and assess performance
- Self-starter, works with a sense of urgency and views problem solving as an impact opportunity
- Understands change is constant and embraces continuous improvement
- Ability to focus and work independently with little direction
- Occasional weekend work and travel required