About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The Crop Accelerator is a state-of-the-art, controlled environment research facility that allows Benson Hill to accelerate biology, by enabling the rapid development of feed, food, and food ingredients, ultimately positioning farmers and food companies to grow and deliver healthy, better tasting products. Our innovative facility has dynamically adaptive growth chambers providing 365 days of optimal growing conditions. Furthermore, Benson Hill’s CropOS technology coupled with the Crop Accelerator’s world-leading high-throughput phenotyping and automation capabilities enables predictive outcomes allowing Benson Hill to develop varieties significantly faster than traditional cropping methods; essentially moving us beyond the speed of biology.
We are actively seeking a Research Associate (RA) to join our rapidly growing Crop Accelerator Team. The RA will be responsible for providing support to the Indoor Breeding pipeline through coordination and execution of production nursery grow-outs and additional research projects, while exercising independent judgment and ensuring clear communication with team members. The RA will analyze and record data and communicate research progress with internal stakeholders. The RA will identify inefficiencies in the current workflows/process and make suggestions for improvement while also offering guidance to more entry level members of the team.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Organize, coordinate, collect, and analyze data on indoor breeding plantings, sampling, pollinations, and harvests.
- Perform pollinations.
- Maintain, organize, and summarize results of experiments, detailing issues, while problem solving.
- Supervise/coordinate tasks that require the assistance of technicians and seasonal workers on our operations team who perform planting, tissue sampling, transplanting, tying, and harvesting ensuring the data is collected properly and in a timely manner.
- Input data into the corporate database and collect experimental notes. Ensure data integrity and transparency for plant and seed records within the Crop Accelerator breeding workflows.
- Ensure high quality plant care within a controlled environment setting, including daily monitoring of watering and fertigation, monitoring of environmental sensors and controls, and troubleshooting any plant health issues.
- Scout for plant disease symptoms, insect pressure, and other IPM considerations and communicate issues to appropriate support staff.
- Partner with Breeding and Product Characterization team to ensure pipeline success by identifying risks and opportunities.
- Partner with Controlled Environment Agriculture team within the Crop Accelerator to align best practices in plant care.
You Have (Competencies and Qualifications):
- 4 year college degree majoring in a science-related field
- +3 years relevant experience in Plant Breeding, Horticulture, Agronomy, Plant Biology, or related field preferred.
- Proficient at Microsoft suite of products
- Experience working in protected Ag, controlled environments, or a seed company preferred
- Process improvement mindset with a strong drive to simplify complex operations
- Courage to promote ideas within an organization
- Team player who gives support when able and asks for it when needed
- Ability to communicate results to peers and leaders through written and verbal communications
- Previous pollination experience is a plus
- Must be able to work occasional weekends as required by pollination schedule
- Focused attention to detail and organizational skills
- Views problem solving as an impact opportunity
- Strong customer focus
- Ability to prioritize and work independently to meet goals and milestones
- Understands change is constant and embraces continuous improvement
- Occasional travel required
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….