About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The Human Resources Department is dedicated to ensuring that we manage and support our most valuable investment – our people! Cultivating a highly talented and inclusive workforce, you’ll guide an exceptional associate experience, enabling them to do their best work. The mission of the department is to be a strategic partner by providing Human Resources programs that attract, develop, retain, and engage a skilled and diverse workforce. The bodies of work that support us in achieving this mission include, but are not limited to Training & Development, Engagement Activities, Recruiting & Onboarding, and Benefits.
The Sr HR Generalist role is a hands-on role responsible for employee relations, performance management, employee engagement, organizational effectiveness, career development, and other people initiatives. This role will support multiple plant manufacturing sites and serve as a point of contact for front line leaders and team members for daily coaching/ questions and HR programs. In addition, will provide counsel for workforce issues and policy adherence while ensuring legal compliance.
The ideal candidate will work in our Creston, Iowa manufacturing plant and travel occasionally to our Seymour, Indiana manufacturing plant.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Understand our business strategy and goals, the current health and effectiveness of the organization, and recommend and execute solutions to close the gaps.
- Provide coaching and recommendations to leaders and team members to support the culture, build morale, increase productivity and retention.
- Counsel front-line leaders on various talent decisions including, but not limited to, employee relations, grievances, and performance management.
- Coordinate policy and process harmonization across multiple locations.
- Independently conduct investigations with documented findings and recommendations.
- Counsel leaders on performance activities including coaching and assisting to create performance improvement plans and disciplinary actions.
- Conduct stay/ exit interviews and develop, monitor and analyze turnover metrics and trends.
- Provide backup recruiting support when needed
You Have Ability To:
(Competencies and Qualifications)
- Build strong trust with leaders and employees of diverse backgrounds and situations at all levels.
- Coach and train front line leaders and plant leadership.
- Make decisions and implement programs with limited direction.
- Be a strong coach who gets personal fulfillment by succeeding through others and developing leaders, and team members.
- Proactively identity solutions and make recommendations.
- Be motivated by challenges and bring a positive tone, an eye for solutions and an energy to drive for results.
- Be creative, innovative and agile to execute through leaders in the organization.
- Be a cultural champion, both as a role model and in leading your team and cross-company initiatives to help scale and strengthen our culture as we grow
- Bachelor’s degree; preferably in Human Resources related discipline
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) preferred
- +3 years relevant experience in Human Resources, preferably generalist or employee resolution experience
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of employment law (including but not limited to FMLA, EEO, ADA, etc.)
- Knowledge across areas of HR, including, performance management, employee relations, analytics, change management, and recruiting.
- A passion for the employee experience through the full employment lifecycle.
- Implementing HR core program roll out – change management, compensation, engagement, and performance management – to with an emphasis on change management and communications.
- An innovative thinker who keeps a pulse on talent strategies and interventions
- A natural risk taker with the ability to innovate quickly
- A self-starter who takes initiative
- Ability to travel to travel occasionally
- Flexibility for partial remote work.
- Part-time to full-time work depending on the needs of the candidate.
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave