About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with advanced breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. The CropOS platform allows for more efficient product discovery and development for companies making genetic improvements to Crops impacting the food supply chain. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We have purpose in our work-we are curious, engaged, and have fun. We maintain an active learning mindset and are motivated by diverse people and thoughts. We are energized by all innovators and together we aim to make an impact and contribute to building a better world.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The CropOS Department leads the development of Benson Hill’s crop design platform, CropOS™ which combines machine learning and big data with advanced breeding methods, genome editing and plant biology to simplify and accelerate the product development process. The team partners with the Research & Development teams on the development of a portfolio of offerings (commercial, product, or platform related) that meet the needs of Benson Hill’s business units.
We are actively seeking an innovative Data Scientist to join the Predictive Genome Editing team within the CropOS Department. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and implementing state-of-the-art machine learning prediction and classification models to support decision making related to all aspects of genome editing. This person will work closely with Benson Hill scientists, data engineers, and project leaders to maximize the impact of Benson Hill’s gene editing programs.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Identify opportunities for innovation and business improvements through applications of machine learning
- Designing and implementing state-of-the-art machine learning prediction and classification models
- Design experiments, analyses, pipelines, and workflows to solve complex business problems
- Collaborate with various internal teams including scientists from other disciplines, data and software engineers, and project leaders.
- Effectively communicate results in written and visual format to other scientists and project stakeholders.
(Competencies and Qualifications)
- D. (or Master’s degree with 3-5 years experience) in machine learning or closely related field that includes formal training in ML
- Experience applying machine learning across multiple domains and with a variety of business objectives
- Experience in benchmarking and model performance evaluation and improvement
- Experience using a variety of ML packages and libraries and cloud-based AI platforms such as TensorFlow, H20.ai, Amazon Sagemaker or others
- Experience organizing and planning complex projects and ability to multi-task in a start-up setting
- Fluency in Python and experience using other programming languages
- Familiarity with data engineering, data storage methodologies and technology platforms
- Knowledge of advanced machine learning, deep learning, data engineering, and statistical approaches
- Strong understanding of scientific concepts, approaches, application, and interpretation
- Attention to detail
- Ability to focus and work independently with little direction
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for innovation in the application of machine learning technology
- A strong record of personal development and learning new skills and technologies
Preference given to applicants with the following skills
- Proven experience in agriculture or life science industries
- Experience with CUDA, Git, Docker
- Experience using cloud computing platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience with high throughput genomics data
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A collaborative environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….