About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The Research and Development Department is responsible for the development of technology platforms and products designed to support the future growth, competitiveness, and long-term sustainability of the company. As part of its platform development efforts, R&D conducts a wide range of research activities, namely in the areas of trait discovery and validation, crop genetic engineering, crop transformation, molecular detection, biochemical assays, plant growth, and molecular breeding, to name a few. These activities are aimed at developing new capabilities in crop research, the outcome of which is then leveraged to create new product development opportunities and shorten the time to market. The department leverages its platform capabilities and extensive knowhow in biology and crop science, along with the computational expertise housed within the Data Science & Platform Engineering, as well as the market insights of the Business Development and Commercial teams to design and create new and improved crop varieties, which offer tangible benefits to farmers and consumers, specifically in the areas of sustainability, health and nutrition.
We are recruiting a skilled plant breeder to lead Benson Hill’s yellow pea breeding program. The breeder manages a commercial variety development program focused on improved nutrition profile of the grain and executing on all related operations. The Breeder must have an affinity for the application of technology in crop breeding and a strong innovation mindset. The breeder must be or rapidly become a crop expert and intimately knowledgeable about yellow pea production. The successful candidate will possess excellent collaboration skills and ability to lead through influence. The position will be based in St. Louis.
- Lead variety development program by developing breeding strategy and plans
- Engage actively with other team members to build tools and processes that accelerate genetic gain in the breeding program
- Work closely with the breeding operations team on the establishment and execution of nursery and yield trial plans
- Manage germplasm diversity within the program and identify opportunities for expanding program germplasm base
Education and Experience:
- MS degree or PhD in plant breeding, genomics, genetics, crop physiology, pathology, or related field highly preferred
- 1-3 years’ experience in a crop breeding program
- Variety development experience in pulse/legume crops in an industry setting is highly valued
- Excellent skills in breeding, molecular breeding, and phenotyping
- Strong familiarity with technology applications that support and accelerate breeding such as data analytics, imaging, environmental analysis, physiology, pathology, entomology, etc.
- Strong data management skills and ability to use proprietary and commercial analytical applications
- Action-oriented and able to deliver timely results
- Strong organization and problem-solving capabilities
- Strong people leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel to trial and nursery locations and for other supporting activities
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more