About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We have purpose in our work-we are curious, engaged, and have fun. We maintain an active learning mindset and are motivated by diverse people and thoughts. We are energized by all innovators and together we aim to make an impact and contribute to building a better world.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
As a Sustainability Strategy and Research Director, you will provide thought leadership, project leadership, and manage the implementation of sustainability initiatives and interface on key sustainability and climate strategic issues facing Benson Hill. This role is critical to the planning and implementation of goals across the organization.
- Deliver corporate sustainability strategy, particularly in the areas of climate strategy and carbon accounting, assist in delivering the strategic vision for the ESG Office
- Identify and deconstruct business issues and develop strategic, analytical, and financial assessments of sustainability initiatives – work cross-functionally to pinpoint new areas for whitespace expansion
- Communicate research and socialize for buy-in from cross-functional team members and company leadership, as well as building organizational learning – engage and educate
- Lead product Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) process, strategy and modeling assessments working with Research & Development Team Members and the Conservation Agriculture Mgr. along with external consultancy for verification and validation
- Lead Benson Hill’s annual GHG inventory, align data needs with LCAs, work with operations function to identify areas of opportunity for GHG reductions and technology innovation in this space
- Particular focus on the processing stage of the value chain aligning farm sustainability data with manufacturing sustainability data aligned with customer GHG commitments
- Represent Benson Hill publicly to external stakeholders and build a network of sustainability expertise
- Bachelor's Degree in environmental sciences, sustainability accounting, business, finance, or related field; Master's degree is highly desirable
- 10+ years in sustainability and strategy, experience in consulting is preferred, with the capacity to think innovatively but execute pragmatically and build consensus
- Solid background in, and passion for, sustainability, life cycle thinking, carbon accounting and management, and strategy development with experience in the food industry
- Experience and understanding of Carbon Markets and the practicality of their challenges with links to policy development and private sector pilot programs – focus on agriculture desirable
- Strong quantitative or technical background with an excellent aptitude for analytical thinking
- Natural curiosity to investigate issues, conduct research, design solutions, and translate results into business practices
- Highly analytical, motivated, with excellent project management skills, strong oral and written communication skills; ability to articulate issues, give presentations, and prepare reports
- Excellent grasp on corporate sustainability trends, policy, and carbon accounting – with the capability of communicating findings to internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to manage your own time and travel as you investigate strategic opportunities, and seek out SMEs within the organization to connect with and leverage expertise
- Having a desire to learn independently, and continue to keep up to date on ESG industry evolution and sustainability methodology
- Strong research and writing skills with the ability to prepare concise PowerPoint slides
- Ability to work cross-functionally and influence a matrixed organization
- Travel 15 – 25%
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….