About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The PRODUCT DELIVERY ACCELERATION (PDA) Department is responsible for the delivery of the R&D product pipeline from inception of new product targets through to testing of these products on farm in grower fields all in a massively compressed time to market. We conduct a wide range of research activities, namely in the areas of vector design, crop transformation, molecular genotyping, and trait validation to name a few. These activities are aimed at developing new capabilities in crop research, the outcome of which is leveraged to create new product development opportunities. We are establishing the most innovative testing network which spans Research & Development and on farm with Benson Hill growers where we design experiments, test & advance our latest products and corresponding business models for new value generation. We are a diverse, energized, and highly experienced team of professionals with a proven track record of delivering novel outcomes that have transformed areas of the Ag Tech sector. We are focused on designing for and delivering the scientific and analytical products and insight geared around the commercial objectives with the greatest value and impact. We collaborate across a broad spectrum of internal Technology and Commercial teams along with key 3rd party partnerships to design and deliver on these outcomes.
We are actively seeking a RESEARCH ASSOCIATE II (RA II) to join our rapidly growing Genotyping Team. The RA II will be primarily responsible for the transfection of protoplast for the genome editing pipeline using automation and tissue culture techniques. The candidate will be accountable for meeting weekly production throughput and quality targets as well as managing the work schedule for production work. A successful candidate will be able to work well with a team and collaboratively across teams to deliver on company targets as well as continually improve our workflows. The ability to work shifts is required.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Execute digests, transfection and quality checks of protoplasts using standardized protocols
- Operate automated liquid handlers and systems to perform production activities.
- Perform autonomous maintenance and maintain a clean workspace to ensure optimal performance
- Record results and metrics of daily work to track and report KPIs
- Own production workflows by driving improvements and partnering to transition optimization activities from the optimization team into production
- Participate on cross-functional teams to drive improvements associated with production workflows to impact efficiency and quality at a greater level
- Collaborate with partners to organize and prioritize job requests to develop weekly schedules within capacity constraints
- Operate within a quality management system to ensure continuous improvement
- Crosstrain with the Genotyping team to contribute to broader team deliverables as needed
You Have (Competencies and Qualifications):
Education / Experience
- HS diploma + 4 years in desired area or Bachelor’s degree in Biology or other relevant degree with 2 or more years of cell biology/molecular biology laboratory experience strongly preferred.
- 2+ years relevant experience in protoplast handing and/or detail-oriented production laboratory environment preferred
- Familiarity with tissue culture best practices and management
- Familiarity with sterile technique
- Experience in working in an ISO or GLP-like laboratory preferred but not required
- Experience with laboratory automation preferred
- Ability to work independently within a team environment
- Ability to collaborate across teams to organize and drive weekly schedules and deliverables
- Explicit attention to detail and focus on quality outputs required
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, Smartsheet and visualization tools such as Spotfire
- Programming in R or Python is a plus
- Must be capable of working mid-shift hours from approximately 10am-6pm, Monday through Friday