About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The PRODUCT DELIVERY ACCELERATION (PDA) Department is responsible for the delivery of the R&D product pipeline from inception of new product targets through to testing of these products on farm in grower fields all in a massively compressed time to market. We conduct a wide range of research activities, namely in the areas of vector design, crop transformation, molecular genotyping, and trait validation to name a few. These activities are aimed at developing new capabilities in crop research, the outcome of which is leveraged to create new product development opportunities. We are establishing the most innovative testing network which spans Research & Development and on farm with Benson Hill growers where we design experiments, test & advance our latest products and corresponding business models for new value generation. We are a diverse, energized, and highly experienced team of professionals with a proven track record of delivering novel outcomes that have transformed areas of the Ag Tech sector. We are focused on designing for and delivering the scientific and analytical products and insight geared around the commercial objectives with the greatest value and impact. We collaborate across a broad spectrum of internal Technology and Commercial teams along with key 3rd party partnerships to design and deliver on these outcomes.
We are actively seeking a SCIENTIST II to join our rapidly growing Genotyping Team. The Scientist II will be part of the Agile team, responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing process improvements as well as novel techniques and technology in the Genotyping Laboratory. The candidate will leverage extensive industry experience in Biotechnology and be accountable for seeking opportunities to scale capacity and throughput, while maintaining quality, of all platforms via protocol optimization and sourcing/application of automation. The ability to partner with the Production team as well as across teams is critical to deliver on company-wide initiatives within the Technology organization.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Scale existing protocols across the lab to meet growing partner demand
- Identify, validate, and transition new technology to the Production team to enable novel workflows
- Operate at the intersection of where bench science, hardware and software meet to design novel work cells that deliver genotyping data
- Partner to integrate new technology with LIMS and ensure data is analyzed and uploaded to internal databases
You Have (Competencies and Qualifications):
Education / Experience
- Associates degree with 4 years’ experience, or bachelor’s with 2 years’ experience, or master’s degree in Biology or related field
- Experience in the development in high-throughput laboratories strongly preferred
- Experience in scaling and optimizing DNA extraction, genotyping platforms using plasmid, protoplast, seed or tissue inputs
- Familiarity with Next Gen Sequencing technologies and its automation platforms from both a software and hardware perspective
- Experience in tissue culture, cell biology techniques a plus
- Experience in working in an ISO or GLP-like laboratory
- Team player who gives support when able and asks for it when needed
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, Smartsheet and visualization tools such as Spotfire
- Application of statistical principles in assay design and results interpretations utilizing JMP, Spotfire or similar software packages as needed
- LEAN/Six-Sigma certification or strong familiarity and practice of the concepts and mindset
- Programming in R or Python is a plus
- Must be open to flexible daily working schedule to accomplish team goals
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….