About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The Research and Development Department is responsible for the development of technology platforms and products designed to support the future growth, competitiveness, and long-term sustainability of the company. As part of its platform development efforts, R&D conducts a wide range of research activities, namely in the areas of trait discovery and validation, crop genetic engineering, crop transformation, molecular detection, biochemical assays, plant growth, and molecular breeding, food science & innovation to name a few. These activities are aimed at developing new capabilities in crop research, the outcome of which is then leveraged to create new product development opportunities and shorten the time to market. The department leverages its platform capabilities and extensive knowhow in biology and crop science, along with the computational expertise housed within the Data Science & Platform Engineering, as well as the market insights of the Business Development and Commercial teams to design and create new and improved crop varieties, which offer tangible benefits to farmers and consumers, specifically in the areas of sustainability, health and nutrition.
We are actively seeking a Quality Assurance & Regulatory Affairs to join our rapidly growing Food & Innovation team within the Research and Development Department.
The Quality Assurance & Regulatory Affairs will build a team of quality professionals to drive the company’s Quality and Food Safety Organization to the next level. The successful candidate will serve as the Quality functional champion and is responsible for the development and implementation of effective, efficient, agile, and compliant Food Safety & Quality Management Systems. The Q&FS Director will have a deep understanding of food safety and quality organizations as well as the regulatory landscape, including all applicable FDA requirements such as the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and food safety certifications such as SQF. The successful candidate will provide total quality management and culture leadership in all aspects of the business with a relentless focus on food safety and TQM principles by adhering to regulations, specifications, standards, and best practices. The Q&FS Director works cross-functionally in collaboration with all business departments and functions. The individual will bring with them a high level of passion coupled with an innovative, collaborative approach and be capable of representing Benson Hill in all facets of quality and food safety
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Leadership: Develop, collaborate, and integrate a total strategy to drive quality and food safety as an integral part of the Benson Hill culture. This includes programmatic, observational, and behavioral elements deployed through cross-functional objectives and participation.
- Quality Management System: Steward the integration, application, assessment, and revision of the quality management system. The system shall be based on company needs, the ISO 9000 system, the ISO 22000 system, and other models. Establish effective metrics to be shared across the enterprise to achieve behavioral and compliance goals.
- Food Safety: Serve as a leader to exemplify and drive a culture of food safety and quality at every level of our organization through strategy, training, coaching, audits and continuous improvement efforts. Serve as an integral member of the Food Safety Team and provide linkage to the plant quality functions. Ensure compliance to all governmental and customer food safety & quality regulations including but not limited to Food Safety & Modernization Act, the Food Drug & Cosmetic Act, the ISO 22000 model, and the Safe Quality Food code. Establish effective metrics to be shared across the enterprise to achieve behavioral and compliance goals.
- Process Management & Standardization: Plan, develop, implement, and report on clear and standardized processes and procedures for all aspects of product and process including but not limited to cGMPs, calibration, non-conforming material management, irreversible corrective action, microbiological monitoring, HACCP, and functional process control. Requires close collaboration with manufacturing, process/project engineering, operational excellence, supply chain, research & development, and IT.
- Supplier Quality: Steward supplier quality management through the application of appropriate tools, systems, and metrics (i.e. PPAP, receiving inspection, non-conforming material, corrective action). Collaborate with supply chain and customer partners to ensure consistent and clear application and best practices. Participate with Quality Managers to develop, implement, monitor, maintain, and act on supplier quality management tools and systems.
- Customer/Consumer Affairs: Lead, develop, and execute a scaled application of customer service & consumer affairs. Partner with customers, suppliers, Sales, and Legal as key Quality interface regarding thorough customer complaint analysis, problem solving efforts, and corrective action implementation. Develop staff as required and deploy objectives through the sites. Establish effective metrics to be shared across the enterprise to achieve behavioral and compliance goals.
- New Product Development: Partner with other functional leaders to establish a viable and flexible new product development process that includes appropriate quality functions for the enterprise and plant resources
(Competencies and Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Food Engineering or a related field; An advanced degree is preferred
- Experience developing, planning and executing on Q&FS initiatives
- Experience in food related regulatory and scientific affairs
- 10 years of experience in the quality/food safety within the food, beverage, ingredients, or pharmaceuticals industry
- Certification in one or more food safety and quality-related disciplines (e.g., CQM, SQF practitioner, HACCP certification, etc.) strongly preferred
- Intimate knowledge of governmental and industry standards for the food industry
- Experience operating and influencing at a strategic level
- Direct experience dealing with customers and customer issues
- Demonstrated experience in data driven, structured problem solving required
- Communicate proficiently both verbally and written. Excellent technical writing and presentation skills are preferred.
- Ability to travel 25% required
- Attention to detail
- Strong Customer Focus
- Collaborative mindset
- Ability to focus and work independently with little direction
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated experience building and leading effective teams
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….