About Benson Hill
Benson Hill empowers innovators to develop more healthy, tasty and sustainable food by unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants. Benson Hill’s CropOS™ platform combines machine learning and big data with breeding techniques and plant biology to drastically accelerate and simplify the product development process. This platform allows for cost-effective and more efficient ways for companies to analyze and make improvements in plant genetics. Benson Hill brings a unique and holistic approach to our product and platform development, as we span a broader workflow involving trait and seed development, genome editing, and breeding all the way to creating better ingredients and varieties that tap a strong consumer demand for more flavorful and nutritious fruits and vegetables. More information can be found online at www.bensonhill.com. Follow us on Twitter at @BensonHillInc.
Our Purpose and Core Values
Our Core Values are a set of common principles we share that are fundamental to our company’s identity.
- Be Bold! We redefine boundaries by providing new solutions to difficult problems. Together we are driven to transform the future and will not allow the fear of failure to prevent us from innovating. We voice our opinions, embrace change, and challenge each other to think creatively.
- Be Inspired! We have purpose in our work-we are curious, engaged, and have fun. We maintain an active learning mindset and are motivated by diverse people and thoughts. We are energized by all innovators and together we aim to make an impact and contribute to building a better world.
- Be Real! We understand who we are, what we want to achieve, and what it takes to get there. We hold each other accountable through timely, candid, and well-intentioned feedback. Together we engage in honest communication and healthy debate that leads to success through true alignment.
The Research and Development Department is responsible for the development of technology platforms and products designed to support the future growth, competitiveness, and long-term sustainability of the company. As part of its platform development efforts, R&D conducts a wide range of research activities, namely in the areas of trait discovery and validation, crop genetic engineering, crop transformation, molecular detection, biochemical assays, plant growth, and molecular breeding, to name a few. These activities are aimed at developing new capabilities in crop research, the outcome of which is then leveraged to create new product development opportunities and shorten the time to market. The department leverages its platform capabilities and extensive knowhow in biology and crop science, along with the computational expertise housed within the Data Science & Platform Engineering, as well as the market insights of the Business Development and Commercial teams to design and create new and improved crop varieties, which offer tangible benefits to farmers and consumers, specifically in the areas of sustainability, health and nutrition.
Supports research activities by performing routine research tasks under supervision. Follows protocols to collect data and log data findings.
(Essential Duties and Responsibilities)
- Participate in seed packaging and processing
- Organize and conduct field experiments (Including: Planting, scouting, spraying, harvest)
- Maintain, organize, and summarize results of experiments, detailing issues, while problem solving.
- Lead tasks that need to be completed by other FTE & seasonal staff to achieve quality results.
- Complete maintenance inspections and activities on equipment within site.
- Communicate efficiently and effectively within teams or across the organization
- Operate and adjust various agriculture equipment such as: planters, sprayers, combines, seed threshers, seed counters, other field & lab equipment.
- Safely transport equipment to internal locations for success
- Maintains clean and organized facilities, equipment, and instruments.
- Adhere to all safety and seed stewardship protocols and expectations
- Conduct projects and tasks as assigned
(Competencies and Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture or other relevant degree.
- +2 years relevant experience
- Agriculture knowledge of practices and management
- Knowledge of precision equipment (Ex: GPS, geospatial systems, Trimble, etc.)
- Experience with agricultural equipment
- Knowledge of MS Office applications
- Operate small electronic equipment
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Chemical Applicator’s license within 3-6 months of hire.
- Must be able to obtain Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) & DOT Medical card within 3 months of hire.
- Ability to lift 60 lbs.
- Innovative mindset
- Must be capable of working extended hours during time-sensitive periods of growing season.
- Strong attention to detail
- Operate forklift in a safe manner
- Ability to focus and work independently with little direction
We have a Total Rewards Package at Benson Hill that consists of more than just your paycheck. Total Rewards at Benson Hill covers Pay (salary and bonus), Health (employer benefit contributions) and Wealth (investments). Some of the perks include:
- A Collaborative Environment
- A flexible PTO program with a focus on work/life balance
- Competitive medical benefits and retirement savings plan
- FREE Dental and Vision Coverage
- Education reimbursement
- PAID parental leave
- And more….